Do you mean 

Outlook can't open database

Outlook can't open database

Outlook is no longer able to connect to ACT database. I now get this error;
"Database could not be opened, it may be locked or have an out of date schema."

My OS is winXP with SP3 and all latest MS updates applied and running;
ACT! Version 9.0.1.162, Hotfix 3
Outlook 2003 (11.8169.8172) SP3
Also installed are Microsoft .NET v1.1 + hotfix and .NET v2.0 + security update.

This identical installation is on 1 desktop, (which has the above error), and 1 laptop which has no problem.

The ACT database on the desktop is the master, and it seems to be OK as we have no other problems, and it synchronizes with the remote database without problem.

I have tried (multiple times in various sequences);
Detect & Repair in Outlook
Rebuild Database Schema (& every other possibility in ACTDIAG)
Uninstalling .NET v2.0 & security update
Uninstalling & re-installing .NET 1.1
Copying "good" versions of Act9AB32.dll & Act9Ext.dll and overwriting existing files

I have also cleaned the registry on both systems and have no apparent errors.

I really don't want to have to uninstall ACT, and or Outlook - but are there any other possibilities? Is this more likely to be an ACT fault, or an Outlook fault?

If I upgraded to ACT v10 would that be likely to fix it? (i.e. if I have to got through the pain of uninstalling, then I may as well upgrade ...)

Thanks for any suggestions,

Peter

Re: Outlook can't open database

Hi Peter,

My company had the exact same issue when setting up our 6 users on ACT 9.0, running on a server. I had the error you listed on 3 of 6 installations, 2 were never able to be corrected. On the one PC I was successful getting around the error message, I tried switching registered user names, and eventually got the phonebook to load using one of our 6 registered user names in the dialog box where it prompts you to select the database you want to load the phone book from. Unfortunately the other two PC's were not as lucky. We purchased the $300 full support plan, and spent 2 -4 hrs a day for several days as the technicians uninstalled and reinstalled ACT, used Registry scrubber programs, uninstalled and reinstalled MS Office, downloaded and installed the latest version of ACT 9.0, added the HotFix's, etc, etc... in the end, they gave up and said to completely wipe the hard drive clean and reinstall everything from scratch, OS, all applications etc.. we declined to do this as it was our marketing person's PC, and we didn't want to jeapordize it any more than we already had.

In closing, the highest paid technical support ACT / Sage offers could do little more than I had already done myself, and they were not successfull. Don't waste more of your money thinking paid tech support has the answers. Some individual PC problems and incompatibilities and conflicts in complicated software like the newer versions of ACT 9/10 cannot be solved. As I see it, you have 4 options, try using another user name(s) in the phonebook loading process, try loading ACT on another PC and see if you can get it to load the phonebook through Outlook, purchase the support plan and throw good money after bad, cut to the chase and wipe your PC out completely and start over, not a pretty picture. Good luck.

Gary

Thanks for the reply Gary. It is a real disappointment as it has worked without problems for over a year - then suddenly an error message from nowhere .... I have been a loyal Act user since v2.0, and from v6 it seems to never quite get bug-free. I just wish Sage would stop releasing a new version every year, and just concentrate on getting one proper fully functional bug-free version that works for most folk. Then release "minor upgrades" until the next full version etc. Quotewerks is a great example of complex software which has 1 major release every 2-3 years, with plenty of minor upgrades along the way. It works so well and is so usable I almost wish they would buy Act ... Regards, Peter
Platinum Elite Contributor

In ACT! 8.0, this error was caused by having .Net 2.0 installed as ACT! 8.0 used .Net 1.1

As you're using ACT! 9.0, which uses .Net 2.0, why are you reinstalling .Net 1.1?

Hi Mike, When I originally upgraded to ACT 9.0, it must have installed .NET 2.0 and left .NET 1.1 in place. So I guess I just tried to re-install everything as it was. (When everything worked ok, both .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 were installed. Both are installed on my laptop - which works with no problem.) Shall I uninstall both 1.1 and 2.0 and then re-install only 2.0? (Also - I see there is now .NET 3.0?) Two more questions - I have never been able to install Microsoft's SQL Server update. I have read this is related to ACT!, but I don't know if there has ever been a resolution? Finally - would you recommend upgrading to v10? Thanks for the response - much appreciated. Peter (PS - go Sharks!)
Platinum Elite Contributor

It shouldn't be an issue to have 1.1 and 2.0 installed. The .Net versions are not upgrades as such. They are different development environments.

You only need to have the Framework versions installed that the applications you use were developed in.

You cannot install SQL updates to the ACT! instance. This is by design. There is no need for that update in ACT! 9. It is included in ACT! 10.

Yes, I would recommend v10 over any previous version

Go the Mighty Tahs!