Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Synchronization Trouble in ACT 2012

Outlook Synchronization Trouble in ACT 2012

Whenever I try to set up my preferences to synchronize Outlook, I get an error message that says "Unable to log on to Sage ACT! Do you want to configure Outlook address book? In addition to THAT error message, if I click yes to configure address book, I get the error message "Could not authenticate user. Verify the user name and password, and try again." I've tried this several times and I'm POSITIVE I'm using the correct username and password. The database is open, so I know the UN and PW are correct. How do I fix this?  Thanks!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Outlook Synchronization Trouble in ACT 2012

Hello Sandra,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Can you provide some additional details to the steps you are taking?  What step are you on (clicking which button) when the 'Unable to log on to Sage ACT!' message is displayed?

In the preferences screen, ensure that the database selected is the actual database you are opening.  Your description sounds like it's not finding the right database. 

Try opening the ACT! Demo database, then set up the sync Preferences with the demo and Outlook.  You don't want to actually perform the sync, but this will test the process.  If it is successful, open your main database and attempt setting up the sync again.

Greg Martin
Sage

I go to TOOLS, PREFERENCES, EMAIL AND OUTLOOK SYNC, OUTLOOK SYNCHRONIZATION PREFERENCES, CHECK ENABLE CALENDAR SYNCHRONIZATION WITH OUTLOOK, OK. Then when I click OK, it asks me DO YOU WANT TO SYNCHRONIZE SAGE ACT AND OUTLOOK NOW? When I click YES, that's when it tell me it's UNABLE TO LOG ON.

Also, I know I'm using the correct database because the correct name is listed in the ACT DATABASE line under the EMAIL AND OUTLOOK SYNC tab.

The odd thing is that when I opend the DEMO database and followed the same steps, when I looked at the ACT DATABASE line under the EMAIL AND OUTLOOK SYNC tab, it has the name of my database, not the name of the demo database. I'm positive that the demo database is the one that's open because I did a VIEW ALL to see all of the contacts.

You'll have to use the Change Database option on the sync preferences screen, to select the Demo database.  Forgot to add earlier - the username for the Demo is 'Chris Huffman', there is no password.

Greg Martin
Sage

Yes, it worked with the DEMO database.

When I tried to switch back from the demo database to mine, it says it couldn't authenticate user.

Just to verify - with your database open, go to Tools > Define Users > look at your username in the window > does that match what you were entering as the username in the sync setup?  If that matches, it would appear to be a password mis-match.  Within the Define Users screen you can double click on your username and then use the Reset Password option to remove the password.  Then attempt the setup again.

Note: If you are going to reset the password, I recommend creating a backup of the database beforehand (File > Backup > Database).  The backup will contain the original password should it need to be restored.

If it persists:

- Are you the only user of this database?

- Is this database physically located on your computer or located on a server?

Greg Martin
Sage

It went through the synchronizing process on my screen, (one hurdle conquered...thank you), but when I look at CONTACTS in Outlook, it's empty. I tried it by synching with Outlook open and again with Outlook closed, but my CONTACTS section is empty.

I'm still having this problem. Although the screen says it's synching, it's not. After synching, the CONTACTS section is still empty. I tried it by synching with Outlook open and again with Outlook closed, but my CONTACTS section is empty.

After the initial connection issues, it may be best to reset the contact tracking files for the ACT!/Outlook Sync.  These files track which contacts have been synchronized previously and may have incorrect data.  Here is an article for deleting the files (they will be recreated with the next sync): KB Article 27105

Note: It is a best practice to backup the ACT! database (File > Backup > Database) and export the existing Outlook contacts to an Excel file before performing the reset. 

Greg Martin
Sage