Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Sent emails

Outlook Sent emails

Using Sage Act! 2012 HotFix 6 with Outlook 2007

I have set up an Outlook rule for Inbox (recieved) emails to automatically attach the email to ACT! Contact History

• This rule includes"if Sender is in ACT! Address book"
  • The rule works great

I wanted a similar rule for Outbox (sent) emails

• However there is no facility in Outlook rules for "if Recipient is in ACT! Address book"

So I get a lot of "Not attached Messages" in the Act/Outlook sync "Show Progress" window

Is there a way of avoiding this?

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Outlook Sent emails

All sent emails will go through the automated process of attempting to attach to a contact. There is no option to selectively attempt to attach out-going emails.
Greg Martin
Sage

Not exactly Greg.

Using Outlook Rules I can perform the Custom Activity "Auto Attach to Email Contact History" based on the conditions available in Outlook (2007 in my case) for SENT or RECEIVED

There are a varety of conditions so I can selectively include/exclude emails.

For RECIPTS these Outlook conditions includes "IF in xxxx address book"

But  this condition is NOT available for SENDS

Why not?

Is there a workround?

With the address book added to Outlook, the built-in integration will attempt to attach all emails sent from Outlook to the Sage ACT! database. Outlook Rules will not affect that behavior.

Note: You can't remove the Sage ACT! address book from Outlook to disable the built-in integration, your Outlook Rules would no longer be able to access the database.
Greg Martin
Sage

[ Edited ]

Thanks Greg

Hopefully Act 20XX will one day address this as an enhacement

BTW

Part of my Outlook rule is to move Sent emails to a Mail Folder I created. And Outlook does do this.

So at least the Outlook rules do "run".

BUT ACTUALLY Outlook moves the "Sent" emails when Outlook ATTEMPTS to send - and not when the email is actually Sent. (So if the send of an email fails - Outlook has still moved the email to the Folder)

This seems plain wrong to me - both logically and semantically.

CONFUSED !!

I went  into ACT preferences to check how the EMail & Outlook Sync was configured.

Turns out I have NOT set up eMail integration within Act at all

So..... is it just my Outlook rules that are syncing emails into Act Contacts?

If the Sage ACT! address book has been added to Outlook (from your posts, it appears to have been - or the Rules wouldn't work) - that is all that is necessary for the built-in integration to record emails sent from Outlook. The remainder of the set up will allow you to send emails from within Sage ACT! through Outlook.
Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks again Greg

I am suffering from what we call "Terminological Inexactitude"

The Sage Act Email Preference Set up Wizard (2 or 3) says "ACT! Can track merssages you send and receive"

Which - from  what you say - is not actually what it does.