Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook MS (error) related to ACT! Address Book Service/ ACT! won't open itself

Hello and thanks,

ACT! 2009, V11

When opening Office 2007, Outlook and error message just occured

"The ACT! Address Book Service is not properly configured, or the unconfigured database act.pad is locked do you want to configure now?"

Then I do and try to select act.pad file I have and I get "an invalid or non-existant database was specified."

When  I try to open ACT! directly with / without Outlook openned and I get an error "ACT! by Sage has stopped working"

Thanks

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Outlook MS (error) related to ACT! Address Book Service/ ACT! won't open itself

Hello Dean,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

Here is an article addressing the 'ACT! by Sage has stopped working' error: KB Article 20539

Once that error is addressed, are you able to open the database? 

Greg Martin
Sage

Thank you Greg - though I tried eacjh of the instructions in the article and cam up "shy" or being able to open ACT!.

I suppose I shoule unistall/re-install the program.

I am going to try to open the database from a back-up I did a couple weeks ago.

Any other suggestions would be apprciated.

Dean

Re: Outlook MS (error) related to ACT! Address Book Service/ ACT! won't open itself

After trying the steps in the article, does the 'ACT! stopped working' message still appear?  Or are you getting a different message?

Before reinstalling, here are some things to check:

- Is the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service running (assumes database is local to your computer)?  KB Article 28216

- If started, try opening the demo database.  Do this with ACT! closed by: double click on the ACT2009Demo.PAD file located in: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\ACT\ACT for Windows 11\Databases

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

You are very patient and most helpful.

However - I've tried evrything - and did reload the program before your most recent reply.

Unistalling, reloading and try to launch was unsuccessful.

I have since dowlaoded Registry Repair software - ran it, defragged, scan disc and everything.

I have gone through your KB Acticle 28216 thoroughly and got through each section, except:

1.  Damaged .PAD File / couldn't activate "actdiag" search didn't reveal it or the panel - [ will try again ]

2.  Damage Preference Files / found preferencesBAK.xml / somehow my "Documents and Settings" folder is not showing up, though in my diagnotics I have setup an Administator and User - where neither shows the folder in Explorer { going to have to resolve this ] as I wasn't able to source "USPreferences206.XML"

3. Compressed Files / didn't find any

Re:*.adf and *.pda files / when I search fro them my recent database and related .pad files are not displayed, which is curious.

Any further toghts would be apprciated - particularly - when I reinstalled and still didn't resolve the matter.  I suppose I could send you by emal the report from the "Feed Back" data when the error appears on attempts to launch.

Thanks again,

Dean

P.S.  I am really sidelined without my best friend ACT!

Ok, let's get back to basics:

- What is your operating system (XP, Vista, Win7)?

- Is 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service installed and running? Use this article to check: KB Article 28216

If 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is installed but not started, are you able to start it or does it give an error when attempting to start?  If error, what is the error?

Greg Martin
Sage

Thanks Greg,

Windows Vista Business.

ACT7 is fine restarted it along with SQL Server Browser.

Thanks,

Dean

Ok - that's a good sign.  Now to see if ACT! is installed correctly...

Without ACT! open, let's see if we can open the Demo database.  It is located at:

C:\Users\Public\Public Documents\Act\Act for Windows 11\Databases

Look for the PAD file and double click on it.

Does it open or give an error?  If error, what is error?

Greg Martin
Sage

Hello Greg,

Found it doble clicked / error "A Problem caused the program to stop working correctly."

Have got a tool to completely unistall ACT2009, V11 - so I can try to reinstall it again.

When I did reinstall it earlier this week it seemed to install fine, though it didn't ask me for a Serial Number.

Maybe I should jut buy ACT! 2012 - as it is on special! Though, I am watching my dollars real close - given the economy!

Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dean

I can certainly understand the dollar concerns!  Just an FYI - if you did happen to purchase 2012, you'd have the

Alright - one step at a time:

This error is usually from 1 or 2 causes.  Try these:

1. Disable UAC > test opening ACT! (double click on Demo PAD file)

If fails:

2. Change compatibility setting for ACT! icon and enable 'Run this program as an administrator'.  Double click on the ACT! icon to launch.

Here is an article with the details: KB Article 20539

The option 'Run this program as an administrator' is on the Compatibility tab.

After making these changes:

- Does the Demo open?

- What errors are you now receiving?

At this point, we're testing that the installation is working (can open the demo) > after that we will be addressing your database.

Greg Martin
Sage