Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Does Not Close

Copper Super Contributor

Outlook Does Not Close

Since using ACT! 2009, OUTLOOK 2003 does not want to close down.  The Windows Task Tray (lower right near the clock) continues to show the Outlook icon.  Windows Task Manager shows Outlook.exe continuing to run even though I have exited from Outlook, regardless of whether or not ACT! is running.  I have two Outlook profiles - one for business (that I associate with ACT!) and one for personal.  I cannot switch back and forth unless I completely reboot, or sometimes wait about 15-20 minutes.  Can anyone provide some help or advice?

Thanks,

Brian Marder

Brian Marder
ACT! 2012 Beta Tester
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook Does Not Close

The Outlook task not closing even after you close the window is a common issue with Outlook, regardless of whether ACT! is installed.  You can close it out by going to your Task Manager and under the Processes tab, end the "OUTLOOK.EXE" process.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

ACT! 2009 is supposed to have better integration with Outlook, not worse. Is a fix for this problem likely to appear soon? Hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and killing the process isn't the sort of thing I like to recommend to my clients when they expect Outlook and ACT! to work together as advertised.
Copper Contributor Kez
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Unfortunately it's the ACT Outlook plugin from what I've seen. I've performed a repair on the office install, did nothing. Check to make sure QuickBooks or any other things that have integrated with Outlook are enabled and not accessing the Outlook mail store and they're not. Lo and behold though, when I disable the plugin by going into the registry, navigating to HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\ACTOutlookAddin.Connect, change the LoadBehaviour to 0, Outlook will shut down without fail everytime.

This has also affected one of the users in our office who runs multiple Outlook mail profiles. If the user has the ACT Plugin enabled, they cannot change between her profiles (this is how Outlook is built though due to the error checking. If a profile is not shut down 'cleanly' Outlook will force a reopen of the profile to run through error checking to make sure the PST is intact).

I've since tried a Repair on Office 2003 and this has also not recitified the issue at all. Everyone in our Office runs SP3, XP SP2 and are updated to the latest. I'm going to continue to see if I can find any other fix for this but in the mean time I guess it's waiting game.

Message Edited by Kez on 09-30-2008 08:44 PM

Having a similar issue. I am running ACT 2008 Premium and Outlook 2007 on Vista Business. What I am finding is Outlook gets stuck sending/receiving at some percentage as shown in the status bar. Once it hits this state, Outlook will not shutdown properly and the laptop needs to be rebooted. This did not start happening until ACT was installed.

Having the same close issue with Outook 2003 and Act 2009. The only way to get Outlook to close is to close using the Ctrl-Alt-Del and closing the process. This only started after installing Act 2009. This clearly needs a fix.

Tuned Listener

Got the same problem. Act! 2009 Standard and Outlook 2003. Outlook will not close. If you open Outlook again, you will get multiple copies running. Telling my customer to use clt-alt-del really gives my customer confidence in my recommendation to go to Act! 2009!

[ Edited ]

If you have iTunes installed, try disabling the COM add-in it places in Outlook.

- Within Outlook, go to Tools and select Options

- Select Other tab, then Advanced Options.

- Select COM Add-ins... and uncheck iTunes.

- Close Outlook.  Make sure its not under Processes located in Task Manger.

- Open Outlook and test.

Message Edited by dlunceford on 10-14-2008 12:27 PM
Copper Super Contributor

I disabled the Outlook COM add-in for iTunes months ago, as a possible solution to this issue.  Unfortunately, it had no effect on this problem.  We need ACT! or SAGE to address this issue directly.

Brian Marder

Brian Marder
ACT! 2012 Beta Tester

I followed the instructions and disabled the ITunes Addin and that does stop the double Outlook.exe running. I have however lost my toolbar links that allow me to have an email open and click on the link to Schedule something for that email. As someone else said, this is something that Sage needs to get corrected.

Gary