Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook Addresses won't Sync

Outlook Addresses won't Sync

I just moved database to a new computer. Outlook calendar sync is working  but not the address book.  Error: "Sync failed".  Did I miss a step when I transferred the database from old computer to new?

Re: Outlook Addresses won't Sync - update

Knowledge base suggested disabling Outlook and then reenable, execute sync again.  I have done this several times and rebooted, backed up the database and restored the database, repeated disable, reenable with no success.  Now I have no sync with the calendar or contacts.  Prior to the above steps Calendar was syncing ok.  (Went from bad to worse).  Susan

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook Addresses won't Sync - update

Hello Susan,
If you go to Help > About ACT!, what is the version of ACT! you have, including the Hot Fix number?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Outlook Addresses won't Sync

Greg, I uninstalled and reinstalled Act 2011 and now sync reports "completed successfully" with both contacts and data.  However, this is not the case.  The syncs in fact ARE NOT  executing.  Tested   new calendar appt. entries as well as new contacts (tried both sync directions...act to outlook and outlook to act) ...nothing syncs even though the program reports "Successful" ?#! 

(Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2)

Another 2 hours of messing with the sync problem yields the following: Calendar items are now syncing both directions but Contacts are still not syncing either direction.   FYI to others with sync issues, you'll frequently need to hit the refresh button to see  if appointment has been added or removed successfully.  I can't offer any info regarding what action was taken to make the calendar sync as the  only thing  I did was repeatedly test new entries ( both calendar items  and new contact entries and deletions .  After a couple of entries, the calendar synced up.  However, no luck with contacts not syncing.  Very frustrated. Sage ACT! Pro 2011 Version 13.0.401.0, Hot Fix 2 ....Susan

[ Edited ]

Susan,
It looks like you are not on the most updated version of ACT! 2011. There have been several updates released which include addressing issues with Outlook sync. I would recommend you apply the updates below (in the order listed) to see if it helps with the issues you are seeing:

Sage ACT! 2011 Service Pack 1
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2729...

then apply:
Sage ACT! 2011 SP1 Hot Fix 6 (cumulative)
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2744...

IMPORTANT: If you are using a shared database, then all machines with ACT! 2011 installed must also apply these updates, starting with the server hosting the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Would it be best to install service pack 1 and see if this resolves sync issue and NOT install service pack 6 if sync works? I had installed both service pack 1 and service pack 6 a few days ago (and was unable to solve sync issues). This is why out of exasperation yesterday I uninstalled and reinstalled earlier version.

I am not aware of anything in hot fixes 1-6 that negatively affects Outlook sync. KB 27440 lists the issues resolved by applying Hot Fix 6 for 2011 SP1 - if those issues do not affect you then you would not need to apply the hot fixes. Have you tried the suggested solutions in KB article 27105?
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2710...

A few points as well (these are fairly basic, but worth checking):
- Verify you have chosen a valid sync set in the Outlook contact sync preferences
- Verify your Outlook contacts are in the main Contacts folder in Outlook and not a custom contact folder
- Verify you have designated the correct ACT! database for Outlook sync

Greig Hollister

I have installed hotfix 1 and hotfix 6 in proper sequence and now can not sync anything again. I assume one or all of the pointers you offer in the last post are the problem. I'm entirely ignorant regarding all three items 1) valid sync set in outlook sync preferences? I only have one sync set..so I doubt this can be the problem. 2) Outlook contacts in the main Contacts folder in Outlook and not a custom contact folder?...Please instruct me on how to determine . I don't know if I have inadvertently created a custom contact folder? How do I determine this? 3) Database was backed up as Dec21 and this appears to be a match.

I've pasted below the post instructions for 27105 to explain a file path problem.

To restore proper synchronization between Sage ACT! and Outlook, please use the following steps:

1. Close Sage ACT! and Outlook.
  2. Stop the Sage.ACT.Integration.exe (Act.Outlook.Sync.exe in Sage ACT! 2011) process:
    • Right click on Windows Task bar and select Task Manager.
    • Select the Processes tab.
    • Locate Sage.ACT.Integration.exe (Act.Outlook.Sync.exe in Sage ACT! 2011) and click on it to highlight.
    • Select End Process to end th e process.
    • When I am in task manager there is nothing similar to the above "Sage.ACT.Inegration.exe" command.  These are my selections: are: scheduler.UI.exe ad scheduler.exe and Outlook.service.exe and Outlook.sync.exe (There isn't a task for Sage.ACT.Integration.exe.
  3. Launch Windows Explorer®.
  4. Browse to the following location:
    • Windows XP®, Windows Server® 2003: C:\Documents and Settings\*username*\Application Data\ACT\Act Data\Outlook Sync
    • Windows Vista®, Windows® 7, Windows Server® 2008: C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\ACT\Act Data\Outlook Sync Thi s is also a problem because my filepath seems wrong.  After  C:\Usere\myname\ :
    • I don't get to select Application Data.  The file path needs to be C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\ and then instead of Roaming I can only select Local.  If I select Local the ACT\ActData\Outlook Sync are no where to be found.  Any thoughts on how to navigate this?  Susan
  5. Delete or rename both files that end with "Contacts.metadata