Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply

Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Accepted Solution Solved
Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia
Accepted Solution

Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Hi everyone,

 

I keep getting an Out of Memory Exception error from the Outlook Addin. I'm running ACT! 11 Premium (Trial) and Outlook 2007 (Trial) on Windows XP Pro SP3. System's clean, and it's a brand new computer with 4Gig memory.

 

The last time I got the error, Task Manager told me that the add-in was using 1.5Gig of memory. It may have gone higher, but I was reading some other threads here, and didn't notice. Then a few minutes later, I got a Windows error saying that the addin had to shut down.

 

This is happening 2-3 times a day now.

 

I only have 27 emails in my Junk folder, and 11 in my Deleted. My PST file is only 23Meg. My ACT! ADF file is 43Meg.

 

Once I get the error, ACT stops attaching emails to contact records and I have to restart my computer (the Outlook addin doesn't start just by shutting down and restarting Outlook and ACT).

 

Note that I've also been having issues with Outlook.exe not stopping, even when the Outlook interface is shut down. I've read that this can be related to add-ins, so it may well be related to the problem described above.

 

Any ideas? Let me know if you need any other info.

 

Cheers.

 

Glenn Murray

Copywriter

divinewrite.com


Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author divinewrite
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia

Re: Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Interesting... I've now figured out what was causing this memory problem. It had nothing to do with the hard disk format. That was just a coincidence. The real problem was ACT!'s inability to automatically assign emails sent by MYOB Accounting Plus V15. The outlook plugin can't associate them, but instead of flagging them as failed and asking me to do something about them, it just keeps trying.

 

Now when I send an invoice via email, I have to remember to stop the outlook addin from trying to process it, then remove the email from the failed list.

 

I think it can't handle these emails because MYOB doesn't use a display name, it simply uses a raw email address.

 

So there! Finally a solution!

View solution in original post


All Replies
Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia

Re: Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Further to the above, I restarted my PC, and as soon as it was up, I opened Task Manager and watched the memory usage of Act.Outlook.Service.exe. With nothing but my project timer running, Act.Outlook.Service.exe was using 60meg of memory when i first looked. Then it gardually worked it's way up to 106meg. It's flickering every 10 seconds or so in my Notification Area (bottom right of screen). And every time it flicks up, it seems to increase its memory usage by 3meg or so. Then it dropped back down to 25meg (perhaps coincidentally at the same time as I re-opened this forum). Now it's back u to 136meg and rising.

 

Again, Outlook and ACT! are not open.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia

Re: Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Sorry for the bump, but my ACT consultant told me he knows the solution to this (I'm just having trouble getting hold of him!), so I suspect someone here knows it too?

 

Cheers.

Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia

Re: Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Hi all. Turns out this was SOMETHING to do with my hard-disk, I think. I ended up formatting my hard drive (and restoring a recent disk image - so no dramas), and the memory leak went away. Woo hoo! Can't say why, but doesn't really matter now. Sorry to bug you all.
Solution
Accepted by topic author divinewrite
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Copper Contributor
Posts: 31
Country: Australia

Re: Outlook Add-in Out of Memory Exception error - ACT 11

Interesting... I've now figured out what was causing this memory problem. It had nothing to do with the hard disk format. That was just a coincidence. The real problem was ACT!'s inability to automatically assign emails sent by MYOB Accounting Plus V15. The outlook plugin can't associate them, but instead of flagging them as failed and asking me to do something about them, it just keeps trying.

 

Now when I send an invoice via email, I have to remember to stop the outlook addin from trying to process it, then remove the email from the failed list.

 

I think it can't handle these emails because MYOB doesn't use a display name, it simply uses a raw email address.

 

So there! Finally a solution!