07-08-2018 06:18 PM - edited 07-08-2018 08:55 PM
Hoping you can help.
We have been dealing with the "Outlook Crashing on send" issue for the past few months.
Background - Act! have acknowledged there was an issue and it was addressed in Act 19.2 Update 3. However in our instance this has not been the case. we are running the latest version (Act 19.2 Update 4) with the problem still present.
Issue - We administer over 20 sites, all running Act. Most sites are affected to some degree. The crashes are random and the email still sends. It may affect only one user on site and not others. It may affect a user heavily over a short period, and then not again, for weeks.
We have been working with ActToday and referencing these forums for ideas and support. The info below should help address some of the suggestions & fixes that have worked for others.
Pattern\recreation of issue - Very hard, retrospectively we can see when issue occurs, it triggers an Application Error ID1000 in event viewer. issue occurs randomly, we rely on users to advise. We have setup affected users mailboxes on test server, and issue does not reoccur.
- for a time it appeared as though issue occurred only after Windows Updates, however analysis event logs did not support that. Just on this, in Jan of this year we moved to the Deferred MS patching cycle as advised .
Office - These forums reference Office installer, as being a culprit. We are using the MSI install (we don't have the option of using the click to run install).
- All sites were originally running Office 2016 (64-bit) we figured this could be part of the problem, as 64-bit is known not to play nice other applications. We uninstalled and Installed Office 2016 (32-bit), initially this was promising, we had a 3 week crash free sting at our test site, however the issue did eventually reoccur.
- Recreated affected users Outlook Profile = No fix
- Recreated affected users Windows profile = No fix
- Checked mailbox permissions = these are the same across affected and no affected users.
- Ran Outlook without Act!Oulook plugin active = Outlook totally stable. This indicates the issue is to do with the Act!Outlook plugin. Which is great. However is a critical function. To disable (long term) defeats the purpose of using Act!.
We have invested a lot of time trying to rectify, so there will be steps I have forgotten.
As mentioned this issue has been ongoing for some time now, we have run through what the forums, & ActToday have advised. Here is hoping you have further suggestions.
07-08-2018 08:36 PM
Hello, I suggest you take a look at the updates suggested in the following article
Information regarding the release of patches to resolve issues when using Act! with Outlook 2016 and 365 Locally installed (I suggest that Office be installed at 32 Bit to avoid integration problems) NOTE: If you reinstall Office, you must also reinstall Act!
I suggest requesting direct support from Swiftpage's support department,
Support Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales and Support phone: 866-873-2006
Support operation hours:
Monday to Friday: 8:30am to 8:30pm (EST)
07-08-2018 08:51 PM
All sites started off with Office 2016 (64bit) then randomly, the majority of sites started experiencing the "Outlook Crash on Send" issue. In response to the issue, we then uninstalled Office 2016 (64bit) & installed Office 2016 (32bit) followed by a reinstall of Act! and the updates. As for the updates. Each was manually installed, after Act! was reinstalled. As mentioned the patches/Updates 1, 2, 3 & 4 were manually installed post update.
is that what you were getting at juancarlosoterogarcia?
thank you for the suggestion anyway. It is appreciated.
07-09-2018 02:32 AM
07-09-2018 03:09 AM
If you do a repair in office does this give some time with a stable setup? (I know it maybe a new Office 32 installation but very strangely I have found that running a repair can fix this if only for a period of time even on a new office installation!)
07-09-2018 04:09 PM - edited 07-09-2018 04:09 PM
1.Crashes - No - Emails are send from within Outlook. Outlook crashes can occur with any email, (even emails that don't attach back to act!). However if the plugin is disabled, all crashes stop.
2. Special Setup ect - No it is all vanilla. some of the emails may have pictures attached at times, but the majority are just basic text nothing more.
3. Security - No logs in firewall or local anti-virus to indicate they are interfering with outlook.
07-10-2018 03:33 AM - edited 07-10-2018 03:38 AM
If it's crashing when sending emails that aren't sent to Act! then that does help us narrow down the issue a little.
The addin will compare the outbound email recipient to the address book it creates which holds a list of contacts from Act! to determine if it can be attached. It may be that Act! is unable to connect to the address book, or that something is preventing the address book from pulling contacts from Act! and is causing the crash.
One step that has been known in the past to sometimes resolve issues (especially where the database resides on a different PC on the network) is to add a second database to list of address books - this address book doesn't need to be an 'in-use' database, but it provides a 'failover' address book if the first can't connect for some reason.
To do this, simply run through the Act! Email setup on that PC (In Act! go to Tools > Preferences > Email & Outlook Sync > Email System Setup) and on page 3 where you define the address books, add a another database from the host machine (I recommend using the Demo database that comes preinstalled with Act!).
Make sure that the default address book is set to the main database you actually want to attach emails to.