Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2010 sorts addresses by first name - Act 2009

Outlook 2010 sorts addresses by first name - Act 2009

I have ACT 2009 on my computer which was working fine until I just upgraded to Outlook 2010. Now ACT address list in Outlook is called "Suggested Contacts" instead of my database name (like it was in Outlook 2007), and when I click on it all the addresses are sorted by full name with the first name first. And it doesn't even come up by default - I have to manually choose it every time from a list. So when I do a search, it doesn't search on the last name like it used to, but instead searches on the first name. It also looks jumbled, and I'm not even sure all my ACT contacts are there. What might have happened and how do I fix it? I read on one post that I need to uninstall ACT and then reinstall it since Outlook should be installed first. I'm nervous about doing this as I'm afraid I'll lose my customized views, etc. I'm also now using IMAP accounts in Outlook instead of POP accounts, though I'm not sure this makes any difference since when I create a new e-mail it brings up the same address list no matter which account I am sending from. So do I have to uninstall and reinstall ACT 2009? Do I also have to uninstall the SQL server (I believe it's the 2005 version that came with ACT 2009). Thanks for your help.
Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 sorts addresses by first name - Act 2009

I don't believe that your version of Act! supports Outlook 2010.

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP

Oh. I guess I'll have to upgrade. Anyone know of any other workarounds?
Platinum Super Contributor

As stated earlier, ACT! 2009 is not compatible with Outlook 2010; the limited integration that you currently have between ACT! 2009 and Outlook 2010 is a remnant from the integration with the prior version of Outlook.  If you uninstall/reinstall ACT! 2009 you are likely to remove all integration between the products. 

The sorting of the ACT! address book within Outlook is controled by Outlook, upgrading will not change the sorting of First Name.  I have ACT! 2012 and Outlook 2010, and Outlook sorts my ACT! Address Book by first name.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Elite Contributor

I believe that you can change the Outlook Contact sort settings from the View|View Settings menu

Mark Rogers
Act! v16 HF5, Office 365 SBP