Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

Outlook 2010 Beta and ACT 2010

Re: Outlook 2010 Beta and ACT 2010

Mike...

Actually, it was an ACT! patch that downloaded last week which broke an already fully functioning link to Outlook 2010.  Until your "fix" for ACT!, I was working perfectly between Outlook 2010 (release) and ACT! 2010.

Now, WHEN WILL YOU support a version of Outlook you knew was coming and had access to via microsoft.com for months?  There is NO excuse whatsoever.

When Symantec owned ACT!, the primary goal was to be PROACTIVE, not REACTIONARY.  PROACTIVE is Customer-friendly, while REACTIONARY is not!

Mark Tallman

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 2010 Beta and ACT 2010

Mark,

When you say "you", I hope you don't mean me... I don't work for Sage.

Symantec also never released a patch for new Office versions till 30-90 days after the retail release by Microsoft...

MS had been known many times to change things in the final releases that means that proper testing can't start till then. Also, with Office 2007 and 2010, Microsoft change the file formats meaning that it becomes a significant task to re-design the links

To make it more challenging, Microsoft can't even get support for the 64-bit version of Office 2010 for their own products yet  ... like Windows Mobile as per http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=1464 (and neither has Google so far as per that article)

I'd suggest it's Microsoft that's dropping the ball rather than Sage on this one.

Re: Outlook 2010 (Retail) and ACT 2010

[ Edited ]

Ok, it's been another month. Any solution yet or is this going to be like with Peachtree where Sage fixes problems like this in the next year's release? They were slow to support Windows Vista, had problems with the PDF engine for two years after Vista was released, etc. and their solution? Buy next year's version.

Your best bet is to plan to upgrade. When (or if) there is an update for ACT! 2010 it would likely be sometime after the release of ACT! 2011. By the way, my understanding that ACT! 2011 works with the 32-bit version of Office 2010, not with the 64-bit version.

Roy Laudenslager
Retired ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

In reading the posts, I note that Act!2011 won't support 64-bit Office 2010.

Why would they support one version (32-bit) and not the one that is becoming more and more common (64-bit)?

Obviously,w e are talking about completely different software structures, but with most users wanting to exceed the hardware limitations of 32-bit (ie4Gb Ram) wouldn't it make sense to invest in supporting the 64-bit versions?

Interested in your thoughts.

Richard

There are some issues that even Google and Microsoft themselves seem to be having with the 64bit version.

See the 2nd last paragraph in this post in this thread:

http://community.act.com/t5/ACT/Outlook-2010-Beta-and-ACT-2010/m-p/77319/highlight/true#M36714

I read this of course, before I posted.

I am surprised that the support for 64-bit has been ruled out for the 2011 release!

Either they support it or not.

If not, and never will, then we will move our systems to a new CRM.

Its that simple.

Richard

I'm pretty sure they will... the question is when.

If you went to the link in that post above, you'll see that there seems to be some issues with developers (even Microsoft themselves) integration with the 64bit version.

Not having looked at the code myself, I don't know what the reason for that is

Mike,

Like Richard, I am likewise frustrated by the apparent "attitude" of the ACT! folks that they (not you) seem to have with respect to serving the customer base. While it is easy to use you as the dartboard for our frustration, I believe we all recognize that you are simply someone quite familiar with the inner workings of ACT! and are attempting to help us understand. I would challenge you to also see what you can do to get the ACT! folks to "understand" that they are running a significant risk of alienating a significant and very vocal part of their customer base by the apparent non-responsive attitude to what is a growing problem for them. MS Office, by the latest estimate in Business Week, has a 95% market share. How on earth can anyone in their right mind risk alienating that large of a customer base by dragging their feet and have any confidence they will be in business much longer?

By the way, ACT! is our fourth adventure into the world of CRM and if they don't get it to work smoothly with MS Office 2010 soon, we will be looking for our fifth.

Jim Tucker

Richmond, VA

Hi Guys,

Sorry if i've missed this information in previous blogs but i simply want to know.

Is there a free or low cost solution to integrate/sync Act 2010 with Office 2010?

There was an earlier comment suggesting Act may get the required sync integration working 60-90 days after the release of Outlook 2010, now is months so is there any update?

I personally purchased ACT 2010 in March this year and feel it's terrible that it's only ACT 2011 that has the potential to support Outlook 2010.

Appreciate any feedback, thanks in advance!

Regards Morris