Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2007 freezes when either Dismissing or Snoozing calendar item reminders whilst ACT 2010 is installed on Windows 7 PC

Outlook 2007 freezes when either Dismissing or Snoozing calendar item reminders whilst ACT 2010 is installed on Windows 7 PC

I dropped Act several years ago as i was not happy with the integration of email to outlook. I had to install the latest Act 2010 for a client for 8 users and found that the program seemed to have resolved the integration issues and looked like the product had matured into a more stable product. Boy i was wrong!

I have installed Act on two internal systems in our organisation both running 32-Bit Windows 7 Ultimate editions. We are a Microsoft partner so we have all the latest products including Office 2007 Enterprise installed on these systems.

These machines were built from scratch in December and worked perfectly until we installed Act 2010. All our systems are fully patched with all the latest system and product updates.

I have had a two hour support call with Act support to try and resolve this issue.

I have proved that the system works fine without ACT.

Problems 

We initially have two problems:- 

Problem One: Outlook Freeze on startup  

Initially Outlook always froze whenever we first started outlook. To get round this problem we would go into the "taskmgr" and end the hung outlook process, then Outlook starts correctly.

Fix 

The occurrence of this issue has reduced since applying the Hotfix 4 to the Act installation.

Problem Two: Outlook Freezes when either Dismissing or Snoozing calendar item in the outlook reminders dialog window.

This problem effectively prevents you from using the calendar reminders in outlook. Again as with problem one to get round this problem we would go into the "taskmgr" and end the hung outlook process, then restart outlook.

Here is what we have tried so far:-

1) Remove and Re-install ACT

2) Apply Hotfix 4 to Act installation

3) Conduct repair on Office installation

4) Create new Outlook Profile

5) Remove Act address book from outlook profile ( Everything works correctly when detached from Act databasethen Re-attached ACT address book and problem returns.

I have sent a msinfo file to tech support for them to examine the PC setup. I was told that it would take some time to resolve this issue and could not give a timescale. What really surprised me is that Sage do not have a tool to collect the appropriate information needed from your PC to pass on to their developers.

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Outlook 2007 freezes when either Dismissing or Snoozing calendar item reminders whilst ACT 2010 is installed on Windows 7 PC

The freezing you are getting isn't normal behavior.  I noted that you have applied Hotfix 4 but this is for v12.0. Have you applied the the 12.1 update with Hotfix 1?  To do so, click on Help > ACT! Update or go to www.act.com/support and click on Downloads and Updates.

#1. Are you using Exchange with Outlook or just Outlook?  Is it hosted or on your LAN? How many contacts do you have in your database and how many notes, Histories, activities?  How large is your backup file?

#2. If you are not concerned about integration of the ACT! and Outlook calendar, I would adjust your ACT! Email Preferences related to Email-Activtity Invitation.  Tools > Preferences> Email > EMail Systems Setup > Go to step 7 of 8 in the wizard and check that both are set to "recommended". If they are both set to recommended, change the second option to None and retest.  Let us know on this board what occurs.

Scott

Tuned Listener

Re: Outlook 2007 freezes when either Dismissing or Snoozing calendar item reminders whilst ACT 2010 is installed on Windows 7 PC

Thanks again for your help.This post is older and I am running Premium 2010 Version 12.1.181.0, Hot Fix 1....on a windows 7 64 bit.

#1 I am using exchange and had no issues until the install of ACT!, so I was leaning towards ACT! as the problem.  I do not have this issue.

#2 I have tried all three options under Step 7 to disable the calendar activity in Email System set-up wizard and still no luck.  It is strange because I can copy the outlook calendar to ACT! (tools>Outlook calendar integration> copy calendar now) and not have any issues with the ACT! program itself (this leads me to believe that they are communicating). 

Tuned Listener

Figured Out!! -  -  Sage ACT! was conflicting with another add-in that was installed.  Disabled add - in and the conflict was resolved.  Now I have to figure out how to make them work with each other.
Nickel Super Contributor

Just got your message and I apparently missed your first reply.

Can you tell us which addon was causing the conflict in case we run across this again?

Thanks.

Scott A

Hi Nick,

what was the add-in?  i have same problem and am using same operating system as you

regards Bob

Tuned Listener

Franklin Covey Plan Plus for Outlook.  Version 7.0.  I have not figured out a solution yet, so if anyone knows please post.

thanks - I am not using that one.

my problem seems to have started when i synchronised outlook with google calender - i uninstalled google connector but am left with the problem.

Copper Contributor

Ok, glad i found this thread, this is also happening to me and many other users on our network. Hadnt narrowed it down to the dismissing of calendar notes until this morning.

Did you ever get a resoltion for this? I am having the same problem.