Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook 2003 not seeing Act address book contacts when typing in the "To" field

Outlook 2003 not seeing Act address book contacts when typing in the "To" field

I am using Vista and have Act 2008 and Outlook 2003.  I seem to have everything working fine except for the email addresses showing up in the "to" field in my new message tab.

While I am in Act, if I click on a contacts email address, the outlook new message box appears complete with the Act toolbar except the to field is blank, if I type the name of the contact it does not come up in the "To" field.  If I click on the "To" button I have the Act address book at the top of my address book list and all my Act contacts are there.  I have to find the contact I want from the list and manual insert it. 

Also, if while in act and I copy and paste the contact email address over to a new message tab, the email sent will show up in my history under the contact.

It works perfectly except for outlook not seeing the contacts in the Act address book in the autofill.

On a side note, outlook does see contacts that I have in my Outlook address book.

I am so close to having this work perfectly, I hope some one can help me out and that I am missing something obvious and it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Outlook 2003 not seeing Act address book contacts when typing in the "To" field

You may need to configure the ACT! address book as the default address book in Outlook.  Please see the following Knowledgebase article on how to set this up in Outlook:

How to Set the ACT! Address Book as Default in Outlook

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Re: Outlook 2003 not seeing Act address book contacts when typing in the "To" field

Hi ghollister

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, I already have the ACT! address book set as the default per your attached link.

My situation has improved slightly.  Now, if I am in ACT and click on a contacts email address, it is inserting the email address in the "to" field.  To add other contacts to the message, I still have to manually insert them by clicking on "to" or "cc" etc.

Any other suggestions?

that is outlook not act.  outlook will only autocomplete for emails that have already been sent to.  if you move to a new computer or reinstall outlook it will reset that database, there is no way to transfer that from machine to machine either. 

Chris Webb
MCSE: Messaging