Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunity status closed for one group and open for another?

Opportunity status closed for one group and open for another?

Is it possible to have the same opportunity "closed-lost" for one group and "open" for another? For example:

I lease shopping space and have several properties listed for lease. John has a taco shop and calls me on one of my properties, and it turns out his business is a fit for three of them. After further review, Taco John has decided that he is only interested in one of them. In my listing report to my landlord clients, I would like the ones who own the properties in which Taco John was NOT interested to know that I talked to Taco John but that it the opportunity is not "closed-lost", and why.

How can I do this? I think it would be nice to have a dialog box come up that lets you pick which groups it applies to, including a "select all" option.

Alternatively, I wouldn't mind duplicating the opportunity, but it's somewhat cumbersome since I have to reenter the contact associated with the opportunity (along with changing the group each time).

Any ideas?

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Opportunity status closed for one group and open for another?

When you say "group", what exactly are you talking about?  In ACT! groups can only contain contacts not opportunities...

As you point out, an opportunity only allows for one status and that is universal.

What version of ACT! are you using, as starting with ACT! 2010, sales opportunities had a signficant redesign that allows far greater opportunities for customization than was available in 2009 or earlier...

[ Edited ]

My properties are listed as subgroups under the "listings" group. (I also represent tenants, and they are subgroups under the "tenant rep" group.) Under each group, or subgroup, there are several tabs, including both contacts and opportunities.

I am using ACT! 2012. Here's a screenshot:

Untitled.gif

Thanks

Chris

So how about duplicating the opportunity without losing any critical information (like the associated contact)? Is there a way to include the contact as a "primary field" (or something)?

Bronze Super Contributor

Well, as you likely already know - "duplicating" an Oppty using the built-in ACT! function only grabs the attached "products" and data from the actual oppty record fields...  No attached contacts, documents, history, etc. comes with the duplication.

So, Properties are ACT! groups...

Is Taco John's need for a location the "oppty" record?

If so, and if I am "getting" it - could you:

1) associate each property (group) that he looks at with the Oppty

2) create a custom field on the oppty record that holds the name of the property ultimately selected as the one he leases.

This would result in only have one oppty record but still show all properties looked at along with the one ultimately selected.  All closed Won oppties that have a property name in the "Location" custom field are just that and any lease potential that never occurs would be closed lost but still have a record of all properties viewed...  Or maybe you never really "close" them...

Could that work?

You've jogged my brain on this a little...along those same lines, maybe I could keep them all as "Open" until one is chosen or eliminated. For instance: Taco John was originally interested in properties 1-4, so his opportunity was associated with groups 1-4. Now he's only interested in 3 and 4, so I would duplicate the activity, change it to "Closed-Lost," and add the groups that are lost.

Thanks for the help.

Bronze Super Contributor

Great!  Hope you're on your way.

This is one of the things that I love about ACT! - the flexibility in the relations between the records...

As an aside, something like TopLine Designer allows you to create not just  custom fields on existing records, but whole new tables/entities that can be related to one or more of the main record types (contacts, opptioes, groups, companies) but also to each other.

This could be a valuable tool for you.