Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunity reports - dup line with product info

Opportunity reports - dup line with product info

I'm running into a problem, and I don't see that anyone has mentioned this on the forums yet. I can pull an opportunity report and it works just fine, until I add any info from Opportunity Product. If I add even one piece of information from Opportunity Product (such as qty or price) it adds a duplicate line for each opportunity entry, so each opportunity is now listed twice. The dup line shows all of the same information, except for the Opportunity Product info. (just the header) Also, I can't get the opportunity report to pull the Opportunity Product name. It will allow me to add the field, and the header shows up on the report, but the field contents in the report are always blank. Opportunity + Product reporting worked just fine in ACT 6, but now that our company switched to ACT 2008, we're having some serious problems. I'm hoping someone can help with this. Thanks
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Opportunity reports - dup line with product info

In ACT! 6 opportunities, you were limited to one product per opportunity. In the later versions of ACT! you can now have multiple product line items per opportunity. To do this, there is now a separate table for products (In ACT! 6 it was basically a drop down list). When you try to add product detail directly to the opportunity, you will get the multiple opportunity line as you are seeing. The way to add product detail to an opportunity report is a bit more complicated. What you need to do is add a sub-report for the product detail. Then you will get one opportunity line and separate lines for the products that make up the opportunity.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

[ Edited ]
Thanks for the reply. The report I'm designing is a Contact report, and the opportunity info is a subreport. So you're saying I would need to create a Product Detail subreport within the Opportunity report?

When I'm editing the Opportunities subreport, the "subreport" toolbox option disappears. Probably because it doesn't want me to put a subreport within a subreport. Is that true? Is there any way around this? If I instead create a subreport within the main report, how would I link it to the opportunity listed in the first subreport so it knows which opportunity to list the product details for?

All I want to do is select a certain contact and run a report that shows the following fields for this one contact:

Open Date
Opportunity Name
Stage
Product Name
Product Price
Product Qty
Total

Is there no way to create such a report? The reason I have this set up as a "contact report" rather than an "opportunity report" is because I want it to only show opportunities for the particular contact I'm viewing. The opportunity report seems to want to report on ALL opportunities in the database regardless of contact. (Creating a "contact report" causes the General tab to appear when you run the report, which gives you the option to select "All Contacts" or "Current Contact" which is essential to the report)

Message Edited by dougf on 03-04-2008 08:32 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

I can confirm that you can't have a subreport within a subreport. I've even tried doing it by directly editing the report template XML code to add the subreport within a subreport and it was ignored when I tried to run the report. I will offer a suggestion, poor as it may be: create the report as an opportunity report and force a page break between each opportunity then run the report to preview, locate the opportunity that you want to print and print only that page. It's anything but elegant but it would work. Wish you luck.

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders

Roy Laudenslager
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com

Thanks for your help. Maybe I can run an opportunity report and include the sales rep contact as a field returned, export to excel, and then sort by that contact field to break it up by the contact I want.
Copper Super Contributor

I have a report that does show firstly the Opportunity details then under that the Product details it still generates an extra line with blank details in it (which is annoying) but it does show both product and opportunity details.

It basically has two sections with in the subreport with the header it has the opportunity main details and with in the Detail section is has the Product details it works fine.. except the extra line which i cant work out how to remove 

Jason Dawson Financial Planning
Brisbane | Australia - JDFP Home Page

Act Ver - Act! Premium Version 17.1.169.0, Hot Fix 3
OS - Windows 7 (stand alone machine)
MS Office - Enterprise 2007
Phone - Samsung Galaxy s6
Platinum Elite Contributor

Without examining the report template directly, I can't say for sure but what you describe typically comes from mixing fields from two different database tables in the same part of the report. In this case it would appear to be the opportunity table and the product table.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129