Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opportunities Referred By Report - 'Associated With' field not displaying full data

Accepted Solution Solved
fts
Accepted Solution

Opportunities Referred By Report - 'Associated With' field not displaying full data

Hi

I have amended the 'Opportunities Referred By' report to add the 'Associated With' field. I would like it to display all the groups it is associated with. It appears to display what I need but only a snippet of it.

It only displays the first group followed by "..." as per

I have tried resizing the field etc but to no avail.

Can anybody help? Thanks

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author fts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opportunities Referred By Report - 'Associated With' field not displaying full data

What you are trying to do won't work. The ellipsis (...) indicates there are mor associations but only one is shown. To show them all you would need to add a group sub-report to the template but at this time, that can't be done with an opportunity based report.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

View solution in original post

All Replies
Bronze Super Contributor

Re: Opportunities Referred By Report - 'Associated With' field not displaying full data

I added the same field to the report to see what it will do.  I do get more results than what you show - think your field control is still too short to show more.

That said, it appears that the field will only show a certain number of characters no matter how many groups and/or companies the oppty is associated with...

I added about five or six associations and only the first three show.  The field is wider than what displays...

fts

Thanks for the advice. Usually we only 3/4 groups anyway so that would be ok for me.

So am I right in thinking I need to make the field size wider on the report?

Thanks

Solution
Accepted by topic author fts
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

What you are trying to do won't work. The ellipsis (...) indicates there are mor associations but only one is shown. To show them all you would need to add a group sub-report to the template but at this time, that can't be done with an opportunity based report.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
fts

Thanks Roy, at least I don't need to spend any more time messing with this.

[ Edited ]

This is not really a solution...

Has ACT fixed this problem yet? Our firm really needs an Opportunity-based report with contents from the entire "Associated With" field. Currently our "Associated With" field only contains Companies and Contacts (not Groups), I'm not sure if this makes a difference or not.

I have tried creating a Sub-Report and adding the "Associated With" field in a prominent space, however, the print preview still only shows the first entry and then "(CMP)" after the entry.

This is for Act! Pro version 16.0.291.0 operating on Windows 8.

Associated With is an interesting "field".It's a system field that reflects information stored in the Association block of the opportunity. I checked and was able to show groups in the associated with field of a report. However that was an opportunity that was started from a contact record and the associated with showed the company and the group but not the contact. I suspect that in your case the opportunities may be started as a group opportunity. The logic appears to be that an opportunity can only be associated with other entities but not the host entity.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

All of the Opportunities in our ACT have been started from a Contact record. I've added Companies and Contacts that are critical third-parties to the Associated With field of the Opportunities. Right now we are not using the Group functionality in ACT at all, so there are no Groups in any of the Associated With fields.

I've attempted adding the Associated With field directly to an Opportunity report and the report will only show the first name listed in the Associated With box. Due to the suggestion of using a Sub Report, I also attempted adding the Associated With field to a Sub Report in the Opportunity report. I gave the field the whole width of the page (thinking size might be an issue), however, still only the first entry shows up on the report along with "[CMP]."

In regards to your last comment about including every 'Associated With' except the host entity - this would be fine. I would be happy with those results.

The Associated With field is different from the Association block in an Opportunity. I have tried working with the Associated With field in reports with little success. Based on your first post I did more research into the nature of the Associated With field and found the best way to view the field is to add the field to the opportunity list view for the contacts.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Report Expert
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Thank you for researching this, and I apologize for the confusion. I was indeed trying to get the Association block of an Opportunity to print on an Opportunity report. I think you were referring to the "Opportunities by Contact" report (correct me if I have the wrong report). This report will not work as it listed each Opportunity multiple times (under each Contact that it was "Associated With").

The report I am looking for would be project-(Opportunity) based, not Contact-based. I was hoping to use ACT's built-in relational functionality to showcase the different players for each Opportunity (very much how the Association block renders on the Opportunity record). It seems that ACT has not created that functionality yet. This is frustrating because the data is being captured already. The two options I see are:

1. Ignore the built-in relational functionality and create custom fields to capture that data. This option renders other relational pieces useless to the ACT Users (such as pulling up a Company or Contact and seeing all the Opportunities they are a part of) but allows a report to generate with complete data.

2. Using the built in relational functionality AND creating redundant custom fields to capture the data in such a way that it can print out on a report. This option requires the ACT Users to duplicate all input of relational data.