Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening save copy as database

Opening save copy as database

I am attempting to copy and rename an ACT 2008 database that is located on a server's networked drive. Below is the proceedure I am following

I log into the server, open the act database that is on the server's networked drive, go to file/save copy as, enter in the new database name, enter in the folder location on the same network drive that I want to place the copy, check share this database with other users, and check create copy of the database. 

I am able to get the database to copy, and I am able to log into it's location on the networked drive and open it with the server. However when I try to open it with one of the networked terminals I am able to get the log in window to open, but when I then attempt the log in the new database will not then open.

Act gives me a pop up stating "Act can not find supplemental data base files folder JWPA-database files (new database name) in the location S1-hagen (server name). This could be a problem with the share, or the folder may not exist.

The database file folder JWPA-database files was made during the copy as proceedure and is located in the same folder as the .adf, .pad, and the .alf file.

Could anyone offer me a suggestion so this copied file would be useable?

Silver Contributor

Re: Opening save copy as database

Make sure and share out the new database prior to trying to open it.  (within ACT, Tools, maint, share database)

If that doesn't work , make sure your users have full access to the supplemental files folder.

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the advice. Share dabase in tools was not checked, but if I click on it when the database is open in the server, I get the popup window stating the data will be sharable then click OK. But then when I reopen the tools/maintenance window to verify, the check mark that would indicate the database is shared still doesnt show up, even after selecting several times, and the terminal still wont open the database.

I can however open the folder containing the supplemental folders on a terminal.

Bronze Super Contributor

Likely you'll need to Close ACT! on the server,

then right click the ACT! icon, select "Run as administrator" and then tick the share database option.

It's Microsoft WIndows UAC that prevents it from sticking if you don't run as administrator.

I was logged in to the server as administrator. Not sure if that is the same as running ACT as adiministrator.

As of a few moments ago, the fix seemed to be restarting the server...

I really appreciate the arrow pointing.

Bronze Super Contributor

Smiley Happy you'll need to right click "Run as administrator" even tho you're logged in as the administrator.