Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening c/d from zip file to restore and making a .rdb database for syncing purpose

Opening c/d from zip file to restore and making a .rdb database for syncing purpose

I have just installed Act! 2008 to update ACT! My company sent me their database on a c/d following the instructions for backup. I followed the instructions for restore which it said was successful. When I click on open database, I can not find the zip file to open that I just worked with. Also I am trying to sync my desktop and laptop. I can not find how to create a .rdb database. I have been able to make a .zip copy again following the instruction but I can not figure out how to get the .zip file converted to a .rdb. I guess my question would be how to convert a database c/d from ACt! 2008 into a .pad to restore it and a .rbd to sync?

Thanks,

Gail Grigsby

Copper Contributor

Re: Opening c/d from zip file to restore and making a .rdb database for syncing purpose

You have a few issues here and I just addressed another persons sync question and I felt my response would work for you as well regarding syncing, so here it is again:

Many years ago ACT! developed a tool within ACT! (synchronization) that allowed you to keep two computers updated with your ACT! data; for example your office desktop and a notebook computer you might travel with.  Those tools within ACT! worked well, but not perfectly.

Today, because of our ability to connect to the internet in so many places, I question the need to sync at all.

If you use a tool such as GoToMyPC or LogMeIn, you have the ability to access your office computer and ACT! from any computer in the world that has internet access. In addition, you have access to all your other programs as well.

In a nutshell, your laptop computer becomes nothing more than a conduit to your primary computer and if it’s lost, stolen or destroyed you have lost nothing more than a machine. All of your valuable data will be safe on your desktop computer.

In my opinion, from a cost and technical point of view, this should be the first option most ACT! users explore.

Tony Holowitz
John Anthony Group
tony@johnanthonygroup.com

Re: Opening c/d from zip file to restore and making a .rdb database for syncing purpose

When restoring the database, it will ask where you want to store the database.  From within the Open Database window, browse to that same location.  Inside that folder, you'll see a PAD file.  Open that PAD to access the database.

How To Set Up Application Synchronization in ACT!

I am sorry if I was not clear. It is not opening as a .pad file. I can not find the file.

Within the Open database windows, go to the location of your database and delete the PAD file.  Then change Files of type to ACT! Database (*.ADF).  Open your database using the ADF file.