Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening a file with file:// to go to a specific worsheet inside Excel spreadsheet

Avid Listener

Opening a file with file:// to go to a specific worsheet inside Excel spreadsheet

I can get the spreadsheet to open when formatting a field as url and employing the convention file://   However, I am unable to move to a specific worksheet.

file://C:\a_dft\contactfiles\worksheetname.xls  -  this much works

According to several googled articles this is pretty standard Office fuctionality and can be be done by employing the following naming convention but it does not seem to work...

#Family!A1  or

C:\path\to\filename.xls#sheetname!A1

If you know the answer, please respond otherwise let it go.  Thanks.

I am not looking for an addon product.

Thanks,

Michael 

Message Edited by mmorgan_dft on 12-20-2008 11:55 AM
Message Edited by mmorgan_dft on 12-20-2008 11:56 AM

Re: Opening a file with file:// to go to a specific worsheet inside Excel spreadsheet

Are you doing this from within ACT!?
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opening a file with file:// to go to a specific worsheet inside Excel spreadsheet

Have you tried any of these from Start | Run to make sure you have the right syntax?

Or by typing the address into the browser of Internet Explorer?

If either don't work, see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867820/en-us and http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325573/ and

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=840386 or Microsoft In And Out Of the Classroom Office Xp Excel

Failing that - what versions of OS, ACT! and Excel?

Avid Listener

I am doing this inside of Act! and from the run line.  Neither works.

Inside of Act!, I am using a field formatting with a url definition.

Avid Listener

Like I said in the initial post, Microsoft recommends the following.  It doesn't work inside of Act! nor from the run line.

Thank you for recommending the articles and they were of no help.

The question is, does anyone have a solution that works?

Microsoft recommends the following -

C:\path\to\filename.xls#sheetname!A1

Thanks,

Michael

Platinum Elite Contributor

If it doesn't work from Windows Start | Run, I don't think ACT! has much chance of doing it

So, forget ACT! and see if you can get a link to work from Start | Run

What actually happens when you try it?

Avid Listener

Thanks for your help.
Copper Elite Contributor

This should bring the clarity you are looking for.  The reason why it doesn't work to launch the URL you mentioned from start-run is because that is not a feature provided by the file system in Windows.  The file system keeps details like where all the data for a given file is stored on the disk in table form along with the entry point for the application to run it.  This is why it works to run the appliation like Excel but not launch to a specific point.  To do that you would need to use an application to application communication technology like OLE.  This could be implemented in ACT! by having the event that fires for a URL field to check it's contents to see if it needs to launch say excel and navigate to a specific location within that file.  That behavior is not currently implemented as you have seen.  It is common to specify a document location like you mentioned but within a Macro or other VBA environment.  In that environment OLE is implemented and supported within the Microsoft Office environment.  Also, it works in a Browser environment to navigate to a specific point in an HTML file but that's because either the client browser or web server is interpereting that URL and navigating to the aforementioned URL