Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening a database from an external hard drive

Opening a database from an external hard drive

I am trying to open an ACT database stored on an external hard drive and I keep getting error messages about turning off a firewall first (does not apply - firewall has been disabled). A few months ago an Act support member helped me do this by transferring files to the computer and deleting the PAD file (I think) and opening the ADF file (I think) but I can't quite remember what he did and nothing I have tried works. Has anyone encountered this problem? Does anyone have a suggestion? Any input would be appreciated!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opening a database from an external hard drive

The ACT! database must be located on a drive that is local where the program is located. The external drive isn't a local drive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Tuned Listener

Actually, an external hard drive is just a drive, as long as it is connected.  The issue is not the hard drive but how ACT gets setup,.

To me, the simplest way to accomplish is:

1) do a full backup of the database (including the user files).

2) Create a folder on the external drive.

3) Now do a Restore As from the folder

You should now have a database on the external folder that you can use.  Now realize that you will not be able to move the external drive to another computer and use the ACT database, or at least I haven't been able to "yet".

I hope this helps.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Binary Star Technology, Inc
Platinum Elite Contributor

It really depends on if SQL sees it as removable or physical. If SQL (or the operating system) sees it as removable, you won't be able to restore to it.
Tuned Listener

Interesting point.  I have run a couple of SQL Server databases (neither were ACT databases) on an external drive but will admit I didn't do a restore to get them there.

Tom

Tom Gueth
Knowledge Resource
Binary Star Technology, Inc