Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening/Restoring Data files after computer crash-ACT 2008

Opening/Restoring Data files after computer crash-ACT 2008

Help! My computer crashed and I had to have my ACT!2008 database restored to a CD.  I have installed ACT on my new computer but cannot open the files from the CD.  I have tried saing the .PAD file to my desktop then opening it from there, but that won't work either.  I get a message during the "verifying file" stage indicating that my "database cannot be accessed ; check my network connection to verify database server is available; may need ot turn off firewall to access, etc." My database is not on a server, but I followed the help directions and set my firewall to "allow" ACT.exe access. It did not help.  Can anyone help me?  P.S.  I had an earlier version of the file backed up on a flash drive and am getting the same mesage from that file. 
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Opening/Restoring Data files after computer crash-ACT 2008

Kristi,

Because you are moving the database off of a cd or flash drive, you will need to delete the .pad file and open your database via the .adf

Once the .pad file has been deleted, open ACT. Go to File/Open Database.

Change the file of type to .adf and browse to where you saved the database

Once there, open the adf file and act will verify the database

Hope that helps. 

Thank you for your response.  I did waht you suggested and got his error Message "The .ALF file cannot be found.  This is not a valid ACT! database."  I used the .ADF notation in the ACT! window, so I'm not sure why it is not calling it an .ALF file.  Anymore suggestions?
Nickel Super Contributor

Kristi,

When you copied the files from your cd, what files did you  copy over?

There should be 4 total. A files folder, an adf, an alf and the pad file.

The pad file is not a concern, but do you have the other 3 in the same location? 

OK< I have all the files you mention. They are on the disk seperately, but I had saved the .ADF, .PAD and files folder to my desktop.  However, I deleted the .PAD file from the desktop per the last message.  I can recopy if needed.  Should I copy the .ALF file to the desktop now and try again? Is the desktop an dok place tohave them?
Nickel Super Contributor

Yes, you'll want to copy the alf file in the same location as the adf file, then try and open it once again through the program.

I would actually not recommend leaving the files directly on the desktop. What I would suggest is copying the files to your My Documents/ACT/ACT For Windows/Database folder. Then, once the database has been opened via the adf file, it will recreate the pad file. You can copy the pad file to your desktop as a short cut to the database if you would like. 

Thank you very much!  YOu helped me tremendously and now I have my database back. YEAH!  I am having troule setting up the email, so I may be back.  Thanks so much for your help!
Nickel Super Contributor

You're welcome, glad I could help.

I am having a similar problem as Kristi who you helped in August. I recently changed my hard drive and restored all my files from Carbonite. After reinstalling ACT I tried to open my database and I could not do it. I got a message saying, The Database could not be accessed. In order to Access the Database check you network connection & verify that your database server is available. This is the second time in about a month I had to restore my computer. The first time I had no problems and was able to restore my database. Any idea what is wrong?

Delete the PAD file.  It is just a pointer file and is probably looking for the old computer.  After you delete the PAD file, open the ADF from within ACT!.  In the open database window, change files of type to ACT! Database (*.ADF).