Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening Act database on my new laptoop

Opening Act database on my new laptoop

My laptop crashed on me, but I was able to copy over my Act database and files to an external hard drive.  On my new laptop I tried copying over the .PAD file and the database files.  When I tried open the database in Act I get a message that I need to share the database.  I'm not really trying to share the database, I just want to run a local instance of it on my laptop.  Help please!  Thx.

Re: Opening Act database on my new laptoop

You need the ADF and ALF files for the database.  The PAD file is just a pointer file that looks for the ADF.  After you copy the ADF/ALF files, delete the PAD file and open the ADF file in ACT!.  This will rebuild the PAD file for  you with correct information.

I think I may have not copied those file over.  =/  Is there a way I could recreate them?

Silver Contributor

Take a look at these steps.

http://www.acttrainer.com/moving-an-act-database-to-another-machine-when-there-is-no-backup/\

Test Drive Act! and Quickbooks over Citrix http://GoTryAct.com

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Thanks for hour help. Unfortunately I did not copy over the adf/alf file. Is there a workaround for this?
Platinum Elite Contributor

The ADF/ALF files are your database. If you have a backup of the database from the ACT! program you can do a restore as to install the database on the new computer.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129