Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening ADF files

Ian

Opening ADF files

When I open an ADF database by double-clicking the file in ACT! 2007 for Workgroups I get the following error:

"The database <dbname> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on y our computer or the server."

The Windows firewall is disabled and the database is locally stored on the hard drive anyway so it shouldn't matter?

Also when I choose Open Database... and select the ADF file the application closes without an error.

Any help is appreciated, thank you. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opening ADF files

You shouldn't open ADF files that way. If you want to dbl-click, you need to use the PAD file.

Opening the ADF should only be done in special circumstances when there are database issues.

Ian

I should mention that the same thing occurs when opening the PAD file and I've checked the contents to be sure the host name and database locations are good. The database is locally stored.

You might try changing the Windows file association for PAD to ActSage.exe or Act9.exe and see if it makes a difference.

Or try the suggestions in this ACT! Knowledge Base article - http://tinyurl.com/5q74wp

Or the Preferences or Multiple Shares issue here - http://tinyurl.com/5owqgs

Failing that, what version of ACT! (the full build from Help | About)?

Ian

When I change the association for the PAD file to act9.exe and open it I get the following error:

"No connection could be made because the target machine actively refusd it"

then

"The application has encountered an error and has been shut down. Would you like to report the error?" YES/NO

The program hangs when I click NO and I have to end the Act9.exe process from the task manager.

Changing the association for the PAD to actsage.exe makes no difference, I get the same database error as originally posted.

When I try to access Help > About ACT! the program closes without an error.

I also can't open act9demo.pad, I get the database error.

I'll go through KB article meanwhile.

What was the association before?

Also check the version... maybe update to 9.01 and Hotfix 3 if you're running an earlier build.

You need ALL users sharing the database to update

Ian

I don't know what executable it was associated to before, it said "ACT! 9.x/2007 Workgroup" I'm guessing it was actsage.exe.

There is only one database being accessed locally by a user with full administrative privileges. I'll try this update if I can find it.

Ian

I went to http://www.act.com/support/updates/ and from the dropdowns I selected:

-ACT! by Sage Premium for Workgroups

-2007 (9.x)

-N/A (the only option)

All I get in return is a user guide. It shouldn't be too hard to find an update, but I'm not having any luck.