Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening ACT 8 database file

Copper Contributor

Opening ACT 8 database file

I have a database created in ACT 8 which I am attempting to open in my ACT 10 programme. The database opens, but will only show the My Record page. I have failed with all attempts to persuade the thing to open fully - there are several hundred records on the database.

The original database was created on a different server to my now stand-alone PC and that server no longer exists. Originally, I received a message indicating that there was conflict with SQL Server with a second message stating access issues to the server / network, (this assumed to be the original defunct server). (Sorry - I don't have the exact message texts). Since re-installing ACT 10, these messages no longer appear and I have opened the databse as far as noted above.

I am using Windows XP Professional.

Any ideas???   Thanks.  Paul Savage

Re: Opening ACT 8 database file

Paul,

Do you have a backup of the database?  Try doing to Restore As on the backup.

Bronze Contributor

Paul,

When you go toopen the database instead of opening the .pad file change the type and open the .adf file instead and see if this then rebuilds the .pad file to open correctly

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Copper Contributor

Being an older database used as a reference only, this one was rarely used and never backed up since being converted to ACT 8. All I have to work with is the one existing database file.

Unfortunately the old ACT 6 backup file was lost in the server change-over!

Thanks for the input.

Copper Contributor

Thanks Paul. Tried the .adf with no success - still only getting the My Record.