Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Opening ACT 2005 Back-up Database

Opening ACT 2005 Back-up Database

My hard drive crashed (gasp), I have a back-up of my ACT 2005 database.  However, I created this back-up by simply copying all of the files from my ACT folder.  Now when I try to open my database (PAD) file I get the message I get the message "The database <name> could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server."  I do not have a Firewall enabled and my connections seem to be fine.  I have the following folder in my ACT main folder: Attachments (empty), Backup (empty), Layouts (6 CLY files), Queries (empty), Reports (many ACT files), Templates (many ACT files).  Please, please, please tell me there is a way to open my database.  This crash has been a very "hard lesson" to learn....

D.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Opening ACT 2005 Back-up Database

If you copied the files while the SQL service was running, it's likely the backup won't work.

But, if it wasn't running, delete the PAD file. Then, from ACT! - File | Open

Change File Type to ADF and open the ADF file

This should re-create the PAD

For some tips on keeping backups, have a look at

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/09/automating-backups-for-act-by-sage.html

Mike - Thank you for your quick response.  When I open the ADF file I get the message "The database you are attempting to open must be verified and/or updated..."  When I click okay I get the message "Database <name> already exists.>  I tried renaming this ADF file to a unique name but then I get the message "Device activtation error.  The physical name <file location and name> may be incorrect.  Any thoughts on this?  Thanks again!

Platinum Elite Contributor

Do not rename the database, it won't work.

Try making sure the database isn't still listed as attached to SQL as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1462...

Okay, thanks for bearing with me.  When I try to detach the database I receive the error message "Could not find procedure dbo.PRC_ADD_EVENTLOG."