Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open dbf file on another computer

Open dbf file on another computer

I just installed 2012 and was able to open my old file.  I need to work on the file on another computer but am not able to open the file.  I tried all of the options in opening up a copied, emailed, exported, and backup file.  Also, how do I update my original file after I've made changes on the other computer?  I was told this was what ACT was good at but I'm having a lot of problems.  I have yet to determine if it really is worth it.

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Open dbf file on another computer

Hello AnnVa,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To restore a copy of a database on another computer, you will want to use the Backup and Restore functions (using 'Restore As' option).  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 19211

However; I believe you actually want to synchronize the databases and that requires creating a 'remote' database.  Here is an article with instructions: KB Article 14116

Note: Synchronization requires a network connection that enables the computers to communicate/share files.

If you can provide more information about your environment (network or no network, computer operating systems, verify Sage ACT! Pro or Premium), Community members will be able to better answer your questions.

Greg Martin
Sage

No, the other computer is not on a network.  I simply want to be able to update the file on my main computer after working on it on the secondary computer.  I have Act 2012 Pro, Windows 7 Professional and the other computer has Windows 7 Home Premium for the operating system.

Copper Elite Contributor

Hi Ann

You will need to create a WORKGROUP or home network so that you are able to share files and folders between the 2 machines.  If you have a wireless/4 port ADSL modem at home, this is fairly straight forward to do with windows 7.

You must ensure the main computer that has ACT installed, also has the folders for ACT (database, and database sup files folder) shared on your network so your other computer can access it.

If you have no network setup then there is no way for the 2 computers running ACT to communicate with each other and synchronize changes etc.

You can create the remote database as per the instructions in the knowledge base article provided by Greg.

Cherie Buttsworth
ACT! Certified Consultant
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Sharing/synchronizing with FTP site; Work with database on 2 computers at separate times

My assistant will be working on the file at a remote location.  I assume that the files cannot be emailed because of their size?  Can we synchronize our files using an FTP site?  If not, I just want her to work on my dbf file, updating it, and then give it back to me (renaming is ok).  In other words, only one of us will be working on the file at a time. I have Act 2012 Pro, Windows 7 Professional and the other computer has Windows 7 Home Premium for the operating system and the same version of Act.

Please explain how to: A. share files with an FTP site (if possible); B.how to deliver/open a file to/on a remote computer, and then deliver/open back to host computer.

Thanks so much!

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Sharing/synchronizing with FTP site; Work with database on 2 computers at separate times

Hi Ann

In this situation, I would suggest creating a remote syncronising database, as we previously suggested.  KB Article 14116

Additionally, the person with the remote database would also require VPN access to your computer with the main database.  Any IT Support person should be able to assist you with setting up a VPN connection between your 2 locations.

Kind regards

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au

Re: Sharing/synchronizing with FTP site; Work with database on 2 computers at separate times

Thank you but you're making this too complicated.  I don't have an IT consultant.  We just want to pass the same file between laptops after one person is done with it and then open it on the second laptop.  Is this possible or not?

Copper Elite Contributor

That is not the way ACT has been designed for use.  It functions using a SQL database, and if its not detached properly it can cause damage to your database.

If you wanted to use it the way you are saying, you would need to back up the database after very change on a different computer (creating a zip file), send it back, and then use the restore as function to restore the database to the different computer, with a different database name each time you transfer it between computers.  This seems like a confusing way to use it.

As I said, this is not the way ACT is intended to be run and I would not recommend using it this way.

Regards

Cherie Buttsworth
Simply PC
cherie@simplypc.com.au
Platinum Elite Contributor

Hello AnnVA,
If you have a common database that will be accessed by one or more users, the recommended method is remote database synchronization, as Cherie described. Backing up, passing around, and restoring a database on regular basis can lead to database corruption and data loss. It looks like you are using 2012 Pro, so you would need to use Application Sync, which requires the main database to be open in order for sync to occur. This KB article describes how to set up Application Sync:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1519...

In order to sync, the remote database and the main database must be connected. This can be done via a network, VPN, or the internet.

Also, it is advised that you have a license for each unique user of the database.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.