Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open database from another machine

Tuned Listener

Open database from another machine

My computer crashed so I am trying to open my database on another computer. Is there a way? I wish there was a way to make these less restrictive. I am using a backup that works, but the one I want is a little newer.
Sussertown
Bronze Contributor

Re: Open database from another machine

Provided you have installed ACT on the other computer I would suggest that you do a restore as from your backup should allow you to open it on the other computer
Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Tuned Listener

This is not a solution. I have a backup, but it is older than a database I would like to open. They both belong to me, but I'm not allowed to open them.
Sussertown

Sussertown,

Did you get any help?  I have the same type of problem.

Tuned Listener

Not Yet
Sussertown
Platinum Elite Contributor

What exactly are you experiecing when you try to restore your backup?  I assume you have reinstalled the same version of ACT! on your machine as you had before the crash.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

We need a moment of clarity here.

A restore requires a zip file.

The files were all copied to the computer that continues to work but that was not my main machine.

I databases AND backups, two different items.

The backups are not as new as the database file is. I haven't been able to open the database file on the new machine. It complains about the need for me to open it on the original computer on the network.

My preference is to allow anyone to operate the files, anyone to back them up and anyone to restore them regardless of where they are on the system or the network. I don't need any security. For me, in my house, it's just a nusance.

Sussertown

Ok, so as I understand it, you have physically copied over the database elements from one machine to another. The files you would need are:

(database name).ADF

(database name).ALF

(database name)-database files

Do you have these 3 items on the new machine?

You would not need the .PAD file. If you have the .PAD file, then go ahead and delete it.

Also, when you say "I haven't been able to open the database file on the new machine. It complains about the need for me to open it on the original computer on the network", what is the exact error message you are receiving?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Tuned Listener

I have an image of the error. Can I email it?

...could not be accessed...check your network connection...

I was going on memory and I thought I was told a long time ago that the diff between pad and adf was dependant on which email service I had chosen, act or outlook.

Sussertown

The .ADF file is your actual database and the .PAD is a text file that points to the database. Given the information you have provided, try this:

Verify SQL is started 

- From your Windows Start button, choose Run, and type in services.msc

- When the list of local services comes up, locate the service SQL Server (ACT7)

- Make sure the status of the service is Started...if not then right-click on it and select Start

Open database 

- If you currently have a .PAD file for your database, delete it

- Open ACT! and go to File/Open Database

- When the "Open Database" dialog box comes up, change the "Files of type" value from .PAD to .ADF

- Browse to the location of your database, locate the .ADF file for the database and open it

- You should get a message that ACT! will now verify the database, then when you click OK, it will go through an update

- This process attaches the database to SQL and creates a new .PAD file, which you will use going forward to open your database

Greig Hollister