Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open an Advanced Query Automatically in Act 2009 V11?

Accepted Solution Solved
Tuned Listener
Accepted Solution

Open an Advanced Query Automatically in Act 2009 V11?

I want users to be able to view the results of applying an advanced query with a few clicks rather than having to navigate through Lookup > Advanced > Advanced Query > File > Open > Select Query > Open > OK. The best I can do is to add Advanced Query to a menu, which doesn't really save that many steps.

So, is there a way to run a previously saved advanced query?

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

Re: Open an Advanced Query Automatically in Act 2009 V11?

You create a custom command for the saved QRY file and add it to the toolbar.

How To Customize a Menu or Toolbar in ACT!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author docEdoc
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

You create a custom command for the saved QRY file and add it to the toolbar.

How To Customize a Menu or Toolbar in ACT!

Tuned Listener

David, thanks for the tip. It does what I wanted. I had read custom commands and thought, nah, that wouldn't work since the .QRY is not a registred Act extension. It really helps to have an expert say, "nonsense, of course it works".

After setting up the custom command, I notice that one should already be in contact list view when running the custom command -- unlike running the query via Advanced Queries which appears to apply list view prior to running the query. Otherwise the query runs and then sends focus to a single contact record.

So that leads to two questions:

1. Is there any way to default the custom .QRY command to display the contact list view (or perhaps chain two commands: View Contact List > Custom Command).
  2. Can I create a menu item with subitems (like say the Database Maintenance menu) or is the only choice to insert a menu item.

Again, thanks for the help.

Doc

1.  Not understanding this question.  When running the query, it will automatically take you to the contact list.

2.  Without using the SDK, you can only insert menu items.

Tuned Listener

David, in response to your comment:

1.  Not understanding this question.  When running the query, it will automatically take you to the contact list.

I find that I get different results when running a query from the Advanced Query's Contact Criteria window or as a Custom Command.

As you point out, the Contact Criteria window automatically changes the view to Contact List. However, running the same query via Custom Command preserves the current view rather than automatically opening the contact list. If Calendar is open, the query appears to do nothing (though switching to Contact view shows that the filter was applied).  If the view is already Contact List, the outcome is the same as running the query via Contact Criteria.

We told the users to view Contact List prior to selecting our menu item. So far they seem content.