Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Open a copied Database?

Open a copied Database?

Using Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0

Running WIndows 7

I copied the Act folder and all of the folders under the Act folder from one computer (which was being taken from me) on to a flash drive.  I then copied the PAD file and all of the folders in the "Database" folder to another computer (running Sage ACT! Pro 2012 Version 14.1.108.0 and Windows 7 also) and put them in the Act folder in the appropriate folder.

I can open other databases previously run on the new PC; however, when I try to open the copied file, an error message says........    could not find the database on the host.

How can I open the copied file?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Open a copied Database?

If you have it try opening the database with the ADF file. However if you didn't stop the SQL server on the old machine the ADF file wouldn't copy.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

I don't see an ADF file in what I copied.

Do you happen to know which files you had copied, As you will need the .ADF, .ALF, and Database files folder. if you have copied just a .Pad file this will contain information to the PC you are on to connect to the previous PC.

If you can gain access to the previous PC i would recommend backing up the database, then moving the .Zip to new PC and restoring it. 

Please follow this article for more information: KB 19211 - How to back up and restore an Act! database

The ADF is the database ... But you can't just copy it without stopping the SQL server service
Bronze Elite Contributor

Check what files you had on the old machine against the new.

As mentioned the SQL files (.ADF & .ALF) are active so cannot be copied unless the SQL service has been stopped. (You can stop SQL from Services)

The pad file should not be copied across as it contains information pointing to where the database was on the old machine. (Or delete it from the new machine.)

Once all files are on the new machine open ACT - File - Open Share Database - Browse for Database - Change File Type from PAD to ADF - Browse to database location. Click on database and then Open. (ACT will create a new PAD file.)

I copied everything, all of the files and folders, in the ACT Folder.  I did not stop the SQL.  I also no longer have any access to the old PC.

I think I am hearing that I am just out of luck.........

Sorry to say, you've lost your database. The ACT! program doesn't open the database itself, it's opened by the SQL server at boot time. ACT! only connects to the already open database. Unfortunately the Windows copy won't copy open files. Be aware that most third party backup programs won't backup the actual ACT! database for the same reason.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Larry,

The lesson's too late for the learning...

Invest in the services (remotely or on-site) of an experienced Act! Certified Consultant.

Too late is very costly!

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org