Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ooops RAN ACT! Demo, can't find original database AND installed AVG 8 Business Edition

Ooops RAN ACT! Demo, can't find original database AND installed AVG 8 Business Edition

First day on the job and praying my sister does not fire me Smiley Sad (currently unaware of  mess i've created).

My sister hired me to work in her company, I would do anything to see her prosper, but sometimes the best of intentions-muddy the waters.

Discovered she did not have an anti-virus or firewall protecting her Smiley Sad workstations.

She has a Server and 5 workstations.

I bought a 5 User License of AVG 8.0 Anti-Virus Network Edition (includes Firewall, AntiVirus, Anti-Spyware and Rootkit Cleaning)

I installed it on my desktop first - all went swell.. Smiley Happy

Accepted most of the defaults.. ..was able to jump on the web Smiley Happy Great .. Able to get my emails - GREAT...

Went to open up ACT! 8.0  - using icon that was on screen - GOT.. "Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..."

I panicked Smiley Indifferent  - immediately launched into AVG - disabled Firewall - "are you sure" - yes of course.. Smiley Happy  - tired to access Act! again.. Smiley Sad   Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..."

Went into Firewall settings.. THOUGHT everything looked ok.. - permissions to entire ip range..192.168.0.1 .. to 254 granted..  permissions to Act! granted,  permissions to SQL .. granted,   (please if i have left off any components .. do list them for me.. )  I left the firewall disabled..but a friend told me, even so, some of its "inherited settings may still load as defaults since it is a "suite" program.. 

I know my sister stores the Database on the server and co-worker says.. changes made at desktop are almost instantly synchronized..  (gulp)

Ok, so Still panicking.. i clicked on THE OTHER ACT! ICON on the taskbar.. thinking.. ok.. maybe this is a backup copy or alternate link..?

Initially it came up with the SAME error message.. Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software... but when i clicked "ok" to make it go away..

It popped up.. ACT!Demo - and i thought -oh.. is that what my sister called her database.. now im making progress Smiley Happy its loading (maybe that firewall was running interference with the Act Database??)

It then popped up.. that it was.. "loading" ..lil dots * * * * * across a small box in centre of screen..

Ta-Dahhh! - done.. ..hmm wait.. 131 contacts.. hmm she has been in business for a few years.. she has told me she has over 1000 clients.. whats this 131.. ? stuff..

I did a lil digging Smiley Sad .. turns out.. ACT! sends a DEMO out for the customer to play with.. BEFORE they build their own... TURNS OUT... my sister left it on this workstation Smiley Sad .. and now.. i CAN'T see... or find.. the original database.. Smiley Sad

I did a bunch of forum reading here..  if i go to one of the other workstations.. i might be able to open their .pad file? with notepad..and it will tell me where to point?  something ..??  so i can find and load REAL ACT Database again..??  but what i point where.. ? to what file location.. (local or on server?)  ALL too new for me.. Smiley Sad.. yes im overwhelmed.. 

NEED somebody to tell me HOW to get her database back...

is it as simple as copying that "pad" file FROM a knowing working station back onto my station?

I tried to "back up" the file from known working station.. to my pen drive.. created a Zip format..

When i went to .. "restore it on local hard disk".. it was 635 kilobytes in size.. but i dont think when it unzipped.. (manually) .. it had.. any .adf files in it..  Smiley Sad   im so lost..

HELP  (i do not have my security clearance to get into the office complex on the weekend, HOWEVER.. the building is open at 8a.m. monday.. and sister's biz does not open til 9.. so i can go in.. ahead of time.. and try to resolve these problems.. ANY Help would be greatly appreciated)  ..thank you.. NewbieAtSistersOffice. 

Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Ooops RAN ACT! Demo, can't find original database AND installed AVG 8 Business Edition

ACT has a most recent list. If from within ACT, you got to the File Menu, you should see a list of 3 databases towards the bottom of that menu. It holds the last 3 opened databases.

If you don't believe the database is listed, you can do 2 other things. First, you can use ACTDiag to determine if the database is stored locally, or if it is stored on the server. Go to Start/Run and type in ACTDiag. Once in the diag tool, Click on Databases/Database List. If the database is stored locally, you will see it within that list. Second, you can do a windows search, this will also tell you if it is local. Go toStart/Search, search All Files and Folders and search for *.adf If you see it listed, again, it's locally and there should be a .pad file in the same location. 

If you do not see the database listed in the diag or in search, that means the database is on the server. You can search the same way on the server to find the location, then browse from the machine you are on to that location. 

Hope this helps.

Re: Ooops RAN ACT! Demo, can't find original database AND installed AVG 8 Business Edition

Thank You for your "helpful" feed back.. i willll give these a try.. - i believe the files are up on the server.. but will follow your instructions.. to a "T" .. and update this thread upon my return

OKAY. . 2 things.. YES the server HOLDS the .ADF and .ALF database files and a copy of the .pad.. - no we cant bring the .alf or .adf files down to the local disk drive .. cause even when ALL users are logged off the system it says.. "file is in use by another system/user"  or something to that effect..

Both workstations we are currently using.... 1 has no firewall, not even xp's firewall turned on.. the other.. has.. AVG Network Edition running.. - so we shut down web shield,  we set firewall to Allow All, saved the settings then went in and disabled it..  THEN disabled.. resident shield.  We then tried to open the .pad directly on the G: server .. from   g:\databases  - no go.. getting the same message..

Error: "The database <Database name> could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify that your database server is available. It may be necessary to disable any firewall software..."

We suspect that maybe.. the "profile" may be corrupt..  (even though 4 of the other 5 users can get online on different machines using different profiles.. )  THEY HAVE 10 user license, 6 active...3 inactive (employees that have left the company).. and ACT! is saying 4 licenses available..

SO we created a new user ..called  "Generic User".. assigned a 6 digit password (mixture of letters and numbers)  - gave it managerial rights (just default managerial rights as we didnt want it having ..admin rights).. set it up.. next, next..finished.

Went into the tools, - manage users.. and there "Generic User" sits saying.. "Active -pending log in"

We returned to the workstation.. tried to login with new profile username (Generic User) and password and got

Authentication errors..

Is there something we need to do from the administrative tools.. to replicate this up to the server? or have it replicate this data faster.. so that we can.. log in as the Generic User?

We were able to restore an older version of the database (circa 2006?) from an old .zip file? and authenticate using the users.. old profile..

YET when we tried to create a backup - on a known to be working station.. (into a zip).. and Restore that.. on one of the suspect stations.. it would not let us..    (now.. where the .zip resides mayy have a lot to do with our ability to "restore"?  DO Zips have to be on the Server?.. in order to restore?)

Any help again would be appreciated..

How many machines are unable to access the database?  Are they the machines that you've installed AVG on?  Have you tried uninstalling AVG to see if you can access the database?  If other users can access the database, then threes nothing wrong with the server end (most of the time) and you'll need to focus on the workstations experiencing this problem.

You don;t need to move the database to the nonworking computers.  In a shared database environment, the database will only need to be stored on the server.  Creating backups, new users, restoring will not fix the issue.

I would call into support and have one of our support agents remotely log into your systems and resolve the issue.