Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

One Database but Two Companies

Copper Contributor

One Database but Two Companies

I've developed a large database for one orchestra.  I market the orchestra but have been asked to separately market a different group using the same database...without co-mingling opportunities, calendars, letters, etc.

What is the EASIEST method to do this?  I'm assuming open a new Database for the new group, and then import the orchestra contacts.

I've been an ACT user for the past two versions....along with EGrabber....it's a remarkably easy way to do perform the marketing tasks.

Thanks!

Dan

Nickel Contributor

Re: One Database but Two Companies

If you really want to just create an entirely new database using the same structure, use this.

Click File|Save As

Fill out the new window by naming the new database and select "create an empty copy of the database"

Select a user to export as the main User for the new database. Most likely yourself.

Open the new database and verify it.

Now go back to the original database and do a lookup of your orchestra contacts. 

Use the Export wizard to send over the information from just your orchestra contacts.

It should lead you through it pretty easy. export contct records|current lookup  and make sure to include attachments

Conversly, you could keep your current databaswe as it is and assign the Orchestra to a company.

You can place all the marketing contacts into seperate divisions of that company.

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Matt

How do you export just one group?

When I do the 'export', it wants to send the entire database

TIA

redrock

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

After you create an empty copy of your databsae

create a look up (in the original database) of the group you want (the orchestra members)

now select export.

choose the new databse to export to

In the Third screen of the export wizard select "Contacts" in the upper part and "current lookup" for what contacts to export in the lower part.

Continue the export wizard.

It will export only those contacts in the current lookup to the new database.

By the way, which version exactly are you using?

have a look through this knowledgebase article  http://fyad.org/uvy4

edit: just found this article useful as well  http://fyad.org/uvy5

Message Edited by mvpulsts on 06-16-2008 10:04 PM
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA