Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

One Client Contact connected to Multiple Vendors/Companies

jsp

One Client Contact connected to Multiple Vendors/Companies

I own a photography business and am looking for a way to connect or link my client contacts with multiple companies (i.e.. the venues and vendors).  For example, I want to show the relationship between the client and the reception venue, ceremony venue, videographer, florist, jeweler, etc.  I also want to be able to go to the venue or florist's business page and see which of my clients they have worked with.  I am just setting up my Act database now and want to do it right.  Thanks in advance!!!  John

Copper Contributor

Re: One Client Contact connected to Multiple Vendors/Companies

Hi, I did something similar with a haulage company who wanted to track which garage, engineers, repair vehicles had been used etc... I think you need to setup all of your businesses as individual contacts. Use a custom field to record what type of business they are. For each 'event' setup a new Opportunity. You can now attach each appropriate 'Contact' to the Opportunit using the tab on the record. What you will end up with is a linked set of contacts for that job. At any point in time you can then look at an Opportunity and see who was involvod, or look at a Contact and using the Opportunities tab see what jobs they have been involved with. Let me know if that makes any sense!?
Bronze Contributor

This is a perfect use ofthe Relatinship tab.  As was mentioned, create a cotact for each venue and then relate he individual to that venue.  If you have repeat events at the same venue, you might want to name the company the name of the venue and the name of the contact the type and date like Reception May2011. 

Hope that helps.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
jsp

Thank for the ideas!  What do you think about the possibility of adding tabs and fields to both the Companies section and Contacts section with unique names like: (1) Ceremony Venue; (2) Ceremony Address; (3) Ceremony City; etc., and (4) Reception Venue; (5) Reception Address; (6) Reception City, etc., etc.  This way if I'm recording the company that the client works for I put that in the regular place at the top; but if I'm recording venues or vendors that have been hired by my clients I do that in the tabs section.

In the Companies section I can put the address of the venue or vendor in both the main address section and in the more specific tabs section.  In other words, every company would have many extra address and phone number fields, but they would be somewhat hidden away in the tabs and would only be populated if applicable.

Would this work from a linking standpoint and is it a logical solution?  Thanks again!

Copper Contributor

Hi JSP, I have just read my own post back and realised I didn't specify the 'Relationship' tab, sorry about that.

Adding custom address fields etc. to contacts is an option but I always think that instead of creating extra fields, why not just set them up as a company or a contact in the first place?!?  

This way you have them as distinct contacts and you can add as many of them as you wish to each Opportunity.  Think about your Relationship tab have a nice list of contacts showing customer, venue, reception etc..

It also means that in future you can easily search on every location you have visited.

At this point of my training I would normally do a nice drawing of a circle showing how the links between contacts, opportunities and companies work but you seem to be getting the idea of how Act works.

jsp

Thanks for the clarification.  I will give this all some more thought to make sure I set everything up correctly from the start, but I'm certainly seeing what you both mean as regards to the relationship tab.  I'm really enjoying the power and flexibility of Act so far, and am glad I went with it over one of the specialized photography client management softwares that cost so more and lock you in to their methods with only minimal customization options.

If anyone has any futher insights or recommendations specific to this question, please do feel free to share.  Thanks again!