Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Old data base - ACT 7

Old data base - ACT 7

I have an old data base created in ACT 7.

Have downloaded the trial version of ACT 17 and was not able to open the old data base.

Could somebody help me?

Best regards,

Nikolai

Employee

Re: Old data base - ACT 7

Hi,

You can look at this KB article for few answers regarding upgrading to v18 from a older version

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38225/kw/convert%20database

Hi,

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately it did not work on my computer.

I have a laptop with Windows 10 and have installed the Demo version of ACT!Pro on it . I am residing in Germany and have installed the German version from Swiftpage, I think this is v17.

I have installed the old database on my laptop: the .ADF file, the .ALF file and a directory with database files. I have not installed the .pad file.

After executing step 3 of your description, I get the message "ACT will now verify the database. This my take several minutes."

After clicking OK the working indicator appears and never stops working. I have left my laptop on through the whole night and it was the same in the morning - working indicator was still showing "In work". The database is about 30 MB big.

So, what am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,

Nikolai

Employee

Hi,

Please try to crate a new database to check if that is working fine. If that doesnt work then there might be a SQL issue. And if that does work here is what you need to do,

Open Run command and type actdiag. In actdiag try to go to tools menu->attach database-> normal attach and then try to attach the .adf file and check if it gives any error. If it does please reply back so we can check what can be done.

Normally Pad file is something that will have the machine name and the location of the database and it will be generated only when the database gets attached to the actdiag. So if you have a .pad file from the old version, then please rename the file and try the above mentioned steps.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Do get someone else to check this but I think that the new ACT has installed SQL 2014 and the most you can port ACT 2007 (From memory SQL 2000) to is SQL 2008

Hi,

I do not have the old ACT 7 software anymore, so I can not create a new data base.

Should I still try to follow the steps with actdiag?

Best regards,

Nikolai

Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi Nikolai,

When running actdiag, what version of SQL is listed next to Server Edition? If it's 2008, then follow the steps in post #4.

Hi Gary

It is:

Microsoft SQL Server 2014 - Express Edition (64-bit)

Administrator

[ Edited ]

This will be the issue. Your older database cannot be upgraded on SQL 2014.
I would recommend trying the upgrade on a machine with SQL 2005, or 2008 installed. Installing Act v17.0 will install SQL 2008.
After updating the database on the other machine, try moving it to your machine with SQL 2014, although Act v17 has not been tested with SQL 2014. You may have to downgrade your SQL. Act v17 is compatible with SQL 2014.

OK I will try.
Thanks.