Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Old School Act user trying to adapt to newer versions

Old School Act user trying to adapt to newer versions

I have been using Act 2000 for years. Yeah I know it’s a dinosaur but it works very well for what I need it to do and it super easy to use.

I add data at the office then I copy the data files to my USB thumb drive at the end of the day. A couple times a week at night I copy the Act data files from the USB drive to 2 laptops I have at home.

I use the Windows “My Computer” copy function or LapLink Gold  to copy the data files.

I bought Act 2007 when it came out and it wont let me copy data files like I could with the older version (I can “Save As” the 2007 data file once onto the USB but after that I get a “File in Use “ message even if Act 2007 has been closed).

Any suggestions on how to do this and are the newer Act versions any easier??

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Old School Act user trying to adapt to newer versions

You really should set up synchronisation from your remote systems to do this properly
Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Paladin100,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

To answer the question about the 'files in use', the ACT! database files are locked by the Microsoft SQL Server program - even if the ACT! database is closed.  You can stop the service and copy the files, but the best practice for this would be to use the File > Backup > Database option within ACT!.  This will create a zip file you can then take home and use the File > Restore > Database > Restore As process to put it on your computer.

If this is going to be an on-going process, you will want to look at setting up synchronization - as Mike suggests.

Greg Martin
Sage

got it .... many thanks