Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Ok to install ACT on a DC? and link to KB on migration

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Ok to install ACT on a DC? and link to KB on migration

I need to migrate ACT from one server to another.

ACT 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.3.182 Hotfix 1

Server is Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise.  The new server is a Domain Controller.  Is there any issue there?  The only roles the server will have are ACT, DC, and DNS.

Also are there any specific issues with migration to a DC?  Is there any easy to follow KB on migration (I did not do the initial install).

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradlee27514
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Ok to install ACT on a DC? and link to KB on migration

No specific issue with a DC... other than the usual security and performances caveats with running any app on a DC

Install ACT! on the server with update and Hotfix (all must be on same version), then move the database as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

You'll then need to make sure the clients all point to the new PAD to open the database.... if they have local copies of the PAD, you'll need to copy them again.

It's good practice to delete the old one after moving to prevent problems if a user is looking at the wrong database

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
Accepted by topic author bradlee27514
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM

No specific issue with a DC... other than the usual security and performances caveats with running any app on a DC

Install ACT! on the server with update and Hotfix (all must be on same version), then move the database as per this ACT! Knowledge Base article -

http://kb.sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1981...

You'll then need to make sure the clients all point to the new PAD to open the database.... if they have local copies of the PAD, you'll need to copy them again.

It's good practice to delete the old one after moving to prevent problems if a user is looking at the wrong database

Thank you SO much!!!

Can you elaborate on this "other than the usual security and performances caveats with running any app on a DC"

Does this suggest configuration changes on the new server?  No local PAD files.  I'd just put the thing on a spare XP machine, but I read that there can be issues if more than 2 or 3 people are going to access the server.

cheers,

brad

If the DC is busy, it slows down other apps.

If any app on DC gets compromised, the DC is open and that means the entire network.

If the machine is reasonably fast (at least 2GB RAM and 10K rpm drives), XP will host 6-8 with no probs (technically up to10 but I find random connections an make that tricky)

When I go to restore the .zip backup, its prompts me for username/password.  I enter what I usually enter on the old server and it says 'The file you are attempting ot restore does not contain and ACT! backup"

Is this b/c of different versions

Version on old server:   ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix1

Version on new server:  ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199

In your reply you state:

"Install ACT! on the server with update and Hotfix (all must be on same version), "

Is this the issue?  How do I update? I don't see that as an option.

That's when i choose 'restore'

When i chooose 'restore as' it lets me go farther but creates a hug error screen. I can't upload the screen shot here, keeps saying restore database is terminating abnormally.

Hello Brad,

Given the errors you are receiving trying to restore a backup, try the alternative method of moving your database described in KB 23392. Before doing this, you need to bring the new server up to same version of ACT! as the prior server.

If you have any users with remote databases that are syncing to the server, see also the information in KB 19817

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question but how do i do this:

"Before doing this, you need to bring the new server up to same version of ACT! as the prior server."

This is in reference to your earlier statement:

Version on old server:   ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.3.182, Hotfix1

Version on new server:  ACT! by Sage Premium 2008 (10.0) (ST Edition) Version 10.0.1.199

You would need to make the sure the new server you are moving the database to also has 10.0.3.182, Hotfix 1 installed. After you have moved and opened the database on the new server, I would then apply the latest cumulative hotfix for 2008 as well, which is Hotfix3. Information for this hotfix is in KB 25309. If need to download the 10.0.3 update, you can go to our Downloads Site. This site requires a login, so you may need to create a quick profile.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.