Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office Professional Plus x86 Outlook integration broken - Word is fine

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Office Professional Plus x86 Outlook integration broken - Word is fine

Did you setup Outlook as the email client?  You shouldn't have to uninstall and reinstall ACT! if it is one of the more recent versions.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

What do you mean by

"Did you setup Outlook as the email client?"

In Act, it would not let me setup outlook because it was not the default mail client.  In the control panel's default applications; however, outlook is listed as the default mail client.

It still thinks that outlook is a 64bit version;  The only thing that comes to mind is that it is confused between the desktop outlook and the metro desktop.  The desktop outlook is set as the default though, so I do not understand why i have this issue;

I also double-checked, the Office 2013 Profession Plus version I installed is the 32-bit version.

I went and uninstalled the metro version of mail; there is no change in behavior. 

The Act Version I have is 2014 -- (Version 16.0.291.0, Hot Fix 4)

Digging around after uninstalling the Windows 8.1 Metro email, the only thing that I can see that is related to email that might not be pointed to the desktop outlook is the MAPI Send mail - which is pointed to Microsoft Outlook, instead of "Outlook (desktop)"; interestingly even after clicking to set outlook desktop as the default this specific one does not change.

Does act use MAPI to determine what the default mail program is?

When I look in the detaults in the Metro "Search and Apps", it shows Outlook (desktop) as the default.

Silver Super Contributor

I think it gets the setting for the default email client from the advanced settings from Internet Explorer.  Check and see how those are set.  You would definitely need to use the Desktop version of Outlook as the default for mail.  The Metro version wouldn't work.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Actually this link tells you how to do it in Windows 8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/choose-programs-windows-uses-default

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Check your private messages.

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com

In IE 11, when I click the programs button, it takes me to the same place in the control panel (ie, the set default programs).

i do not find any mail related settings in the advanced tab.

When I click a "mailto" URL, Outlook (desktop) Opens.

In the registry, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mailto points to the correct outlook.

In the registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\mapi points to "Microsoft Outlook Replication MAPI Protocol"

We need to determine how Act knows what the default mail client is.

Highlighted

Did that.  From a Windows Metro and Classic examination everything indicates Outlook (Desktop) is the default mail client.