Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office Errors Sending Email with Act 2011 Pro

Copper Contributor

Re: Office Errors Sending Email with Act 2011 Pro

I don't see anything listed regarding this. Today I just noticed that the Event View Application errors are happening on both my Windows 7 and XP PCs. The difference for me is that the "Email" button in ACT on the Windows 7 PC produces an error when trying to email a contact, but this isn't happening on the XP machine, even though both are producing the Event Viewer error.
Copper Contributor

Also having the problem here, wasn't until just a couple weeks ago.  On Windows 7 and ACT 2011.  Can't email, mail merge, etc. direct from ACT .  Very frustrating.  No solutions yet?

Copper Contributor

Do you see the correct Act address book listed in Outlook 2010?

Do you show all the Act Add-ins in Outlook? That would be 2 menu commands and 6 toolbar commands.

I had a great deal of difficulty getting Act to work with Outlook in the beta trial as well as afterwards. It the setup is not right it is going to throw an error because both programs are looking for something that is not there. 

I generally solved the problem by running a repair of Outlook and then reconfiguring email in Act. I finally found that it helps by first starting Act in Administrator mode.

REL

Copper Contributor

On my Windows 7 PC, the Outlook Add-in and Address book are both fine.  I have the full ACT toolbar icons in Outlook, and my ACT database is the default Address book in Outlook.  I can compose an email from Outlook and address the message to an ACT contact, the message goes through.  But from ACT, I cannot initiate an email from the "email" button in ACT, and of course there is also this issue of Windows Event Viewer errors that has been mentioned.  In Windows 7 I am running ACT as an Administrator.

Copper Contributor

Just to be sure...you are right clicking the act icon and running Act in the admin mode....right? It sounds like you have installed it "correctly". If it was me I would try and repair Outlook 2010 which involves a reboot and then choose preferences and redo the email, this time running act in admin. mode. If that did not work I would start over and reinstall Windows 7, then outlook then Act. I saved a system image before reinstalling Act. Good luck!

REL

Copper Contributor

Yes, running ACT from the desktop icon by right clicking and choosing "Run as Administrator".

I am not running Outlook 2010, I'm running Outlook 2007.  I think I already tried and Outlook/Office repair, but I think I will try that again.

Copper Contributor

Sorry for the confusion. During the Beta I was running Outlook 2007 at first and I had no problems initially. It could have been because I upgraded from Act 2010. I did not have problems until I started using Outlook 2010. Are the errors popping up while you are working or do they only show up in the Event Viewer? 

REL

Copper Contributor

Yes, I was getting the "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object" error box in ACT when I tried to initiate an Outlook email by clicking on the large "Email" button on the ACT 2011 toolbar.

Update:  I just found a partial solution on another Sage thread I found via Google search.  Here is what I posted in that other thread:

On my Windows 7 Enterprise box running Office 2007 and ACT 2011, disabling Windows 7 User Account Controls allowed the "Email" large button in ACT 2011 to produce an Outlook new mail windown properly (rather than the ACT error box I was getting saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object").

If I check the Windows 7 Event Viewer, under Windows Logs\Application, I'm still getting the error messages that state the above quoted error, but at least now ACT is producing the Outlook email window, so on the surface it looks like it's working without issue.  This will be particularly important when I move my clients to Windows 7 in the new year.

Still something wrong going on according to Windows, but disabling UAC seems to be a step forward in terms of functionality.

Copper Contributor

I still get the "object reference not set to an instance of an object" error in the event viewer twice for every e-mail that I send out.

I am now on hot fix 4.  Will there be any resolution to this annoyance and problem?