Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office 365 Inquiry or The 800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

Office 365 Inquiry or The 800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

Currently use latest version ACT (16.1HF1) on office PC along with Office/Outlook 2010. It all works fine.

Just bought a Surface 3 (which I love!!), I also own a Lumia Microsoft phone which I have also come to really like. For the first time since the dawn of man I can now sync ALL my contacts and calendars across all three devices without BS add ons or jumping through arcane hoops. So yes, I guess you can say I'm now doing the backstroke in the Microsoft Kool-Aid.

I’ve been awaiting this day for years. I can even sync my ACT contacts and calendar to Outlook, then use a simple sync tool from within Outlook to copy contact and calendar to my MS Hotmail account and have ALL my devices updated over the cloud. WHAT A CONCEPT! I run a remote version of ACT on My Surface 3 and easily update my main ACT database when returning from “the road”, repeat the above and VIOLA, I am up to date on all device. Life is Good!

This Nirvana is not going to last. The first * in my collapsing “sync all” universe is ACT’s inability to use where Microsoft and the rest of the known universe is heading, namely Office 365 and the other plethora of software providers who are going to follow suit to cloud based software.

If I want to have Office 2013 so I can use ACT on both my office PC and my new Surface 3 I need to shuck out 2 times $214 or $428 for 2 copies if Office. However, with an Office 365 subscription I could use it on both devices AND get 1TB of cloud storage for under $100 a year. But…. We all know I can’t use Office 365 with my ACT, which I have been using for nearly 23 years.

So… I need to beg the question here from the Swiftpage people, the friendly consultants who haunt the forms and the user install base. Will Swiftpage ever be able to support Office 365? Is this where the company is going, or not? Or… are we to surmise that we must make some choices. Please... a binary question... Yes of NO.

To continue the “status quo” of my current install using ACT, I’m going to have to shell out $428 for two Office 2013 installs and then do it again when MS upgrades. I will also have to give Swiftpage another next version upgrade fee, the last one about $169.  That’s approaching $600 now and lets assume ACT upgrade fees ongoing of AT LEAST $200 every 24 months for upgrades.

OR…  I could part ways with ACT and use Outlook and Notes to do what ACT does now, yes, with much more effort and BS, butt…. At a total cost of about $10 a month with all the benefits of OneDrive, cheap cloud storage and Notes for everything else I do.

I believe it’s a fair question. Does Swiftpage anticipate being able to integrate with cloud based Outlook in the near future? Should I wait it out or cut the cord now and begin the very painful process of heading in another direction.

Thanks for any informed opinions and comments.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: Office 365 Inquiry or The 800 Pound Gorilla in the Room

For $12.50 per month per user or $150 per year per user you can purchase Office 365 Small Business Premium which allows you to download Office 2013 to your local PC.  Once you have downloaded it to your PC it can be used by ACT!.  If you are the only user then you only need to purchase one license.  Granted it is a little more than the $99 per year for the home version but that version isn't licensed for commercial use.

I will let Swiftpage answer the question about whether or nor ACT! will eventually support web based software as a service office products.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

Thought it might be useful to update this thread to inform others who may have similar issues or questions. It's a bit lengthy but I believe will be useful to some.

First a bit of background: Been using ACT since V3, thats about 1989. Typical love/hate relationship that most of us have endured over the years. Left for a year or two, but came back. 

Two  years ago signed up for ACT Anywhere. Solved a bunch of mobile issues. Had an Android phone.

Last year started to see where Micorosoft was going and decided to buy a Window phone. Like most I  hated Windows 8, but soon realized Mr. Gates didn't care what I thought (Bill_Gatus_Of_Borg) "You Will Be Assimilated." So... gave Windows 8 and the tiles some serious effort. Much to my surprise I found the interface to be quite handy and useful once mastered. So much so that I also just bought a Surface 3, and I LOVE it. Full featured Windows tablet. Remote Act Database on it that syncs back to main database. Full ACT on the road on a tablet!. Life is good!

A few months ago Swiftpage threw an unexpected curveball. They outsourced ACT Anywhere. NO Windows phone support, period. Lost over half my ACT Anywhere yearly investment there too. Vendor informed me they will NEVER support Windows phone. So much for ACT Anywhere. Serious mistake on their part but I will leave that conversation to another day.

So what I have now gives me the ability to have a remote fully functional ACT database on my Surface tablet. I can sync my contacts and calendar from ACT to Outlook in my office, use a simple addin app from CodeTwo called Folder sync that syncs my main default Outlook contacts and calendar with my Microsoft hotmail account in Outlook, which in turn updates them on my Surface and my smartphone, without ANY intervention at all. It just does it. And it works GREAT. Simple auto sync in ACT and simple button press on Outlook ribbon to send all synced contacts and Calendar to BOTH my Surface and smartphone, and back again. PAINLESS!!

UPDATE: Thank you to wellmet in the previous post for bringing Microsoft Office 365 Business Premium to my attention. I did install it on my computer and Surface and everything works just fine...ALMOST. Outlook Email and mailmerg work great in ACT. The one issue using Office 365 Business Premium is the inability to utilize Quick Attach from inside of Microsoft. Without a volume licence agreement version of Office 365 Business Premium the registry entries still record Office 365 as click to run, thus the ACT database is not recognized by Outlook to set up Quick Connect. The issue is too big to go unsolved IMHO. It will get fixed.

I utilize ACT paid support. I commend Brenda and the support team who have spent hours the past few days getting me to where I am now. I also REALLY appreciate the fact they told me EXACTLY what was going on, why it is not working, and the fact they are working hourly to get a solution from Microsoft so ACT's Quick Connect can be reinitiated inside Outlook.

So if your thinking of Office 365 Business Premium, be aware of the issue.

Like I said, a lenghty post, but  believe worth the time to read if these issues are on your radar screen also. Support also was kind enough to let me know that there is an online subscription version of ACT in the works that hopefully when rolled out will resolve most of the issues with all Office 365 versions that we are all aware of. THANK YOU for that info. It goes a long way to helping this long time user make informed decisions.

Cheers!

Silver Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the informative post!  I'll have to look into your solution.

I'm pretty sure you can install Office 2013 with the Office 365 Business Premium license and not install it as a click to install.  You just need to download the full version before you do the install.  Since you have already installed it you will need to remove the registry entries that indicate it is a click to install.  Alternatively I think you can install the registry entries that indicate that it is a full install.  I've read somewhere about someone having done that and gotten it to work but I can't remember where I read it.  If you look around the community you may find a post telling you how to do it.

Stan (aka wellmet from "Hail fellow!  Well met!")

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Silver Super Contributor

Here is a link with instructions on how to get the full version depending on the version of Office 365 you have installed.

http://www.solutions-outlook.com/2013/06/how-to-get-full-installation-of.html

Stan

Stan Smith
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com