Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Office 2010

Master Commentator

Office 2010

I realsie that Office 2010 is not yet supported by ACT!.  If i installed office 2010 alongside 2007, and left 2007 as my default word processor, would ACT still recognise 07 and still work, or would it still fail?

Any idea when ACT 2011 will be out, or a hotfix to support office 2010, as this is going to cause me real issues as Company is going to upgrade to Office 2010 shortly.

Many thanks for any help.

Sam

Bronze Contributor

Re: Office 2010

By default, you cannot have Office 2010 installed along with Office 2007.  There are some (unsupported) workarounds like uninstalling Office 2007, installing Office 2010 and then selectively re-installing specific programs (like Word or Excel) within Office 2007.  However, Outlook is not one of them - you can only have one version of Outlook on your computer - in this case 2007 or 2010.
Signature
Platinum Super Contributor

New versions of Act! are generally released at the end of summer.   While the exact date has not yet been released, you can expect Act! 2011 to be available around September 2010. 

Act! 2010 and Office 2010 are not compatible, but on some computers we have seen that if you have Act! 2010 and Office 2007/2003 installed, and then upgrade to Office 2010 - it will retain the email settings and Outlook integration.  It will not retain integration with MS Word or Excel.  Also, if for any reason you have to remove the integration, there will not be an option to re-integrate.

Greg Martin
Sage
Master Commentator

Kevin & Greg,

Many thanks.

Sam

Copper Contributor

A little feedback for the fine folks at Sage. I have a copy of Act by Sage 2008 installed - which had an amazing number of install issues, and would like to upgrade to Act whatever works. I have a new PC with Windows 7 (not going back) and Office 2010. If I have to buy Act 2010 now to get OS compatibility with 64 bit, and in less than 90 days have to fork over another $100 plus upgrade, I will simply dump Act for any other product.  I have been an Act user since the DOS days, whatever version that was, so I don't take this lightly, but enough is enough.

Bronze Contributor

Jill like you I share your pain. This update from Microsoft has been coming for over a year and now Sage is going to think about doing a hotfix? Why wouldn't someone have beeen working on this for the past couple of months and how long could it take?

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.

I completely agree with Jill and find the Sage response to this issue to be lacking. For users such as ourselves, this is a critical component of our Client Relationship Management, and that just happens to be the entire point of having ACT in the first place. We have replaced several workstations and upgraded to Win7 as well as MS Office 2010, both of which we are happy with and plan to keep. The fact that there is no hotfix for the long awaited Office 2010 release leaves my team in a very tough situation in the immediate, and my Client Management Team as well as our IT Director wondering if ACT is the direction we want to continue investing in for the long term.

For the people at Sage, it would be very helpful to give your once loyal users an expected time frame of when this problem will be corrected, instead of ambiguous statements, to help stem the flow of them jumping ship. It may be too late for us, but some damage control might limit your losses with others.

Copper Contributor

Act Sales on the 888 number just told me that Act 2011 will release in September, and that there will be NO hotfix for 2010 to integrate with Office 2010. That means we all have to wait until then, assuming it's on time, or upgrade twice to accomodate Windows 7 64 bit OS with Act 2010, then to 2011 to work with the current Microsoft Office.

Worse, the upgrade price on the product to go to Act 2010 is 70% higher than buying a new full license from Amazon or Costco. Sage is making me feel more "special" every time I talk to them. I may yet pay twice for one product, but it will be the last time I put myself in this position.

Bronze Contributor

As nice and well-meaning as the sales folks are, they're not exactly 'in-the-loop' when it comes to late-breaking news.  When Greg Hollister says they're working on it and says they're going to have a fix, I believe Greg.

I won't be upgrading to ACT! 2011 right away, preferring to stay on ACT! 2010 for some period of time, but I am upgrading my computers to Outlook 2010 and I also am counting on that patch.

Signature
Platinum Elite Contributor

Kevin

I believe you will find that's rumor and not fact. I think working on it is deciding exactly what to do. My understanding it would take more than a hotfix.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129