Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Occasional loss of dialer.

Occasional loss of dialer.

ACT Pro, Ver. 16.2.14.0, Hot Fix 1

Nothing to do with MS Office.

DB is local.

My Office machine is on 24/7.  Every now and then, when I wake up my computer, I open ACT and then when I try to use the Dialer, it won't work.  I have to close down ACT and reboot my computer.  Then reopen ACT and the dialer works.  Is there any way to correct so this stops happening?  I have the program on my computer at home as well as my laptop.  This problem is ONLY on the Office computer.

Administrator

Re: Occasional loss of dialer.

Hi Stuart,

What software are you dialling though? It may be a problem with the actual dialer. Can you still open it externally when it becomes inaccessible from within Act?
Bronze Contributor

Good morning Stuart.

Since the office machine's dialer works most of the time, the simplest answer is that something uncontrolled entered the office environment.  While it may be an annoyance, I suspect that some kind of an electrical interference was trapped.  The reboot gives you a clean network from Act to the Windows' dialer to the telephone network.

I from time to time have the same problem.  Sometimes all I have to do is restart Act, but sometime I do have to do a reboot.  When I do, I refresh the router and [in my case] the cable modem.  Magic then occurs and it starts working. 

While I enjoy tech, I enjoy sales more and do not wish to figure it out.  Besides, isn't "reboot" the answer to all Windows' problems?

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Thanks John:

Admittedly, this should only be my biggest problem in life! On occasions I've tried to only go so far as to restart ACT, but so far, that has never done the job. The only thing that works is to reboot! I only use the dialer through ACT and the dialer is built into my computer.
Bronze Contributor

Thanks for the feedback.  For what its worth, ACT uses the Windows dialer.  The fact that it can only be fixed by rebooting the system looks to involve Windows instead of ACT, but at this point I'm just guessing which is not a good troubleshooting technique.

Can you detail the steps a call takes from the computer to the telephone network?

How does the computer send the dialing tones?  Thru an internal or external modem? 

How is your phone connected?  Is the phone directly connected to the phone network like a single line phone at home?

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013

Hi, John:

When I am on a particular contact's data sheet, I simply click on the Auto-Dialer  icon at the top of the page; I get a drop-down with the contact's phones (i.e. Direct line; main company number or his/her cell).  I highlight the one I want and click on dial.  I have used a Plantronics head set for many years to free my hands up to type on the computer and not get a kink in my neck!

The modem is internal to my computer.  If your question about the dialing tones refers to Tone vs. (I forgot the other choice that is for rotary dialing), then I did set the dialer up years ago for tone thru ACT.

I have a phone line from the jack in the wall, to my computer.  The important consideration is that this problem is sporadic.  However, once the call won't go thru and I get the error message that says something about verifying the phone is hooked up properly, then if I go to another contact, it still won't work.  I have to close out ACT and reboot the computer which then enables it to work as it should.

Bronze Contributor

First of All, Stuart, I am not a technician or engineer - but have trouble shot my modem / ACT relationship over the years.

Having said that, my next suggestion from your provided list is to see if all drivers are up to date on the computer.  As your research has shown, Act uses the Windows dialer and doesn't have a dialer organic with the program.

This is also important if you have had any kind of a Windows upgrade or even an update.

Any ACCs reading this:  does anyone have any other ideas?

John Purdy
Copper Contributor

Re: Help with Dialer and Internet Phone

I would very much like to use the Dialer program, but haven't a clue how to make it work with my Comcast internet modem and internet phone/voice.  When I try to set up dialer it asks for modem information and I don't know what to enter.  When I try to set up the modem in Windows it finds my cell phone.

I have my phone line plugged directly into my cable modem that is hooked up to desktop with Ethernet cable.  I'm running Windows 10 on a fairly new computer.

Any suggestions?  Is it even possible? 

Bronze Contributor

Hello daverose, From your description you are missing the one thing that dials the phone - that is a data modem. I too have a VoIP set up with my cable provider. It is a device between the computer and the telephone connection on the wall. It actually dials the phone and it is the Windows phone dialer that actually communicates with the modem. The cable modem doesn't dial the phone. The Windows dialer needs a data modem. I saw a 56K modem this evening at Best Buy for $47 and I found one at Amazon (Search for US Robotics USB Dial-Up Softmodem (USR5639) for $11. In my environment, the modem has a USB connection to the computer and the other end connects to a phone line spliter. The modem will be automatically discovered by Windows and ultimately ACT once installed. If you really want to get fancy, I also use the Plantronics Savi 745 that provides me a wireless connection to either my wired phone, my mobile phone, or to Skype. Hope this helped.
John Purdy
Copper Contributor

John. Thank you thank you thank you. I was at Fry's electronics and no one could tell me how to do this. The wireless headset is next, but I want to make sure this works first. Thank you again. I will check out these products immediately.

Dave