Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object reference not set to an instance of an object - When on Contact detail view

Accepted Solution Solved
Accepted Solution

Object reference not set to an instance of an object - When on Contact detail view

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary

I also have a problem which brings up this error message.

I have just put a new field onto my contact layout form and as soon as I come back into contact view and every time I go to any contact I get this error popping up. I am running ACT 2013 Pro on Windows 7 with a 64 bit operating system.  Once I've entered data into the field it is no found when I do a lookup on that field.

Thanks in anticipation

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author kartist
‎04-13-2017 02:27 AM
Administrator

Re: Object reference not set to an instance of an object - When on Contact detail view

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the update.

If the error recurs on the Layout Designer, try following the steps in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38187

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

Re: Object reference not set to an instance of an object - When on Contact detail view

Hi kartist,

I've moved your post to a new thread as it's a separate issue.

I've got a few questions for you that should help us in troubleshooting this issue:

1. Please can you let us know what is the field type of the new field you've added to the layout?
  2. Does the error also occur when the field is removed from the layout?
  3. If you don't have any data in the field yet, you could try deleting the field if the error continues.
  4. Does the error also occur in any other databases, i.e the demo database, or a new database?
  5. Does the error also occur for any other users of this database?

[ Edited ]

Hi Gary.  Thanks for your very prompt reply.  Here are the anwers to your questions.

1.  comments field is character which allows blanks.
2. I removed the field and saved and as soon as I came out of the layout back to contact view the error came up.
3. the problem doesn't seem to be field related.  I deleted the field completely from the layout and after I saved it the error popped up.  In fact there seems to be a problem with the layout tool all together with it tending to not open, ask me if I want to save it when I have already done that and am trying to edit it again.  The only way to get to it again is to close ACT altogether and then come back in.  Perhaps the problem is too big for here Smiley Sad
4. Every time I try to edit a layout in the demo database the error comes up without opening any layouts.  I haven't tried a new database.
5. I am the only user on the system

Each time I open a contact the screen seems to refresh itself twice.

Oh dear Smiley Sad

Karen

PS.  I've just closed and openend ACT again and opening contacts works fine now without any error message. So it would appear that it isn't a problem if I do that.  Sorry about the hassle.

Solution
Accepted by topic author kartist
‎04-13-2017 02:27 AM
Administrator

Hi Karen,

Thanks for the update.

If the error recurs on the Layout Designer, try following the steps in the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38187

Thanks Gary.  I'm backing up my database so that I can rebuild the preference files as the article suggested.