Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object” ACT PRO V18.2 WIN 10

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object” ACT PRO V18.2 WIN 10

I have installed (and paid for) v18.2 on my i7 WIN10 Desktop, upgrading from 17.2 HF4 which had identical problems in the WIN10 environment.  On installation today I got 

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object” when trying to send and email or send a event notice via email using Outlook 2016.  I employed the workaround of going to properties at the icon and choosing "run as an administrator" for both and this allowed both sending emails and email calendar events. I checked and in both default properties I am shown as an administrator with full control. When I reboot the initial problem recurs. Am I expected to load both Outlook and ACT with the workaround each time? It seems there should be a less laborious solution. Also in TASK MANAGER it shows that ACT.OUTLOOK.SERVICE (32) is inoperable, with an "X".

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: “Object reference not set to an instance of an object” ACT PRO V18.2 WIN 10

Hi James,

You need to right click on the Outlook and Act! icons and go to Properties and set up the Administrator Login in there to make it permanent.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

Thanks Mr. Shaw.  Perhaps you missed that I have done this and it works for the boot session but then reverts to the "Object reference..." state on re-boot. I am confused by this and by the persistence of the Firewall message requiring me to acknowledge that ACT is going to load each time on a new boot. Also, have you any insight into the ACT.OUTLOOK.SERVICE (32) issue? Your kind advice is appreciated.

Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Did you tick the box within the Act! and Outlook programs (not shortcuts).

You should find this in Properties | Compatibility | Privilege | Run as Administrator | Change Settings for all users.

It can be confusing but hope the above helps.

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org 

OK. Checked that for ACT and is steady state. Outlook via 365 doesn't give me a "compati" screen. Now I am trying to do an email merge an everything hangs up on "OBJECT..." again. Is ACT designed to make us dependent on you guys forever?!! I have used it since its first release and it seems to keep getting more obtuse by each version!
Administrator

If you do not have a compatibility tab on our Outlook icon's properties, then you can do the following:

• Using Windows Explorer browse to the following location: (or wherever you installed Office):
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\Office16
  • Right click on "OUTLOOK.EXE" and select Send to > Desktop (create shortcut). You can then right click the new shortcut and select Properties to set compatibility settings to run as administrator.

First, again, thanks for being a pal and working with me!  

Office 365 resides in the cloud @MS and the .exe isn't resident on my HDD. Hence my question about a workaround that sticks!  I have been able to complete all tasks with the workarounds but some functionallity is lost in outlook when I log in as "Run as administrator" ie searching and index access.

Office 365 is only supported if it is the locally installed version of Microsoft Office, and it was not installed using Click-to-Run. For more information on supported versions of Office, refer to the following article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29499

Elise O'Pry
Swiftpage
Visit our knowledgebase at http://kb.act.com