Object reference Blah Blah

Copper Contributor

Object reference Blah Blah

[ Edited ]

Act 2011, one problem after another  Arrrgggh

Now I cannot access the database at all.  When I start Act   I get two messages

The first   Error access or processing a PAD file  -  path-to file

Then when I click OK I get

Object reference not set to an instance of an object  (nice message - how about in English)

All i want to do is get some work done.    Why did I upgrade.  

Copper Contributor

Re: Object reference Blah Blah

[ Edited ]

When I use Actdiag to try and look at the database, I cannot get to any databases.  Actdiag opens OK but if i click on the databses tab  I get an error

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application  blah blah

I just want to get on with some work.  Smiley Mad

Platinum Super Contributor

The Object Reference may be a by-product of the original message 'error accessing or processing pad', here is an article with steps to address this error: KB Article 13797

If you have not registered the Act! program, go ahead and do that - it may resolve the 'error accessing pad' error.

Greg Martin
Sage
Copper Contributor

Just had a Sage tech guy login to my machine and spend 50 minutes messing with it.  No joy, try a re-install.

Doing that now -doh

Copper Contributor

Uninstall, reinstall  no joy.  What a terrible program this has become

Platinum Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

jimjam,

I am not sure of the steps the ACT! tech took, but try this:

- Verify that ACT! is properly registered by going to Help>About ACT! (you can do this without having a database open)

- Close ACT! and all MS Office applications

- From your Start button, choose Run or go to the Search box and type actdiag

- When ACT! Diagnostics opens, go to the menu and click Databases, the choose Database List

- Locate your database on the list, highlight it, then right-click on it and select Detach Database

- Close ACT! Diagnostics

- In Windows Explorer, browse to the location of your database and delete the .PAD file for your database (ex., MyDatabase.PAD)

- Again from the Start menu, choose Run or go to the Search box and type services.msc

- Locate the SQL Server (ACT7) service, right-click on it and select Restart

- Open ACT!...you may get a message that the last database cannot be found. Click Open Database

- Change the File Type to .ADF, then browse to the location of your database and open it with the .ADF file

- Should take a minute or two to verify the database and open

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

Hi Greig, read post 2. Actdiag will not open the databases :-(

Do mean that your database is not on the Database List in ActDiag? Is the database local to your machine?

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Copper Contributor

The database is local, as is the original demo, Diag will not open them, There is no list, it errors before then. Yeah, i know. Sage are baffled too :-)

What is the error message when you try to open ActDiag? Normally, if it will not open there is a problem with the SQL Server. Also, if there is bad database connection, you will get an initial error, then one or more errors accessing the Database List. But you should be able to get through the errors and view the list. The problem database(s) will usually show on the list with a status of Recovering.

Greig Hollister