Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

Copper Contributor

Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

I have ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.1.183.0, Hotfix 1.  Everything's been stable for sometime and now when I log on to ACT, I now receive the message, "Object Reference not set to an instance of an object".  It seems to only affect me adding an item on my calendar.  When I try to add a calendar item, I receive the error again and cannot add a calendar item.  I've read several of the fixes and tried rebuilding Act Preferences, ran diagnostics (detect and repair) in Outlook but I still receive this error message.  Can someone please help??

Thank you.

Bronze Contributor

Re: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object

I just worked through this error for a problem sending email from ACT through Outlook.

What version of Windows are you using?

For me, I am using Windows 7 Enterprise and had to change the user control settings:

Control Panel | User Accounts | Change User Account Control Settings | Slide the slide bar to never notify |

You will have to reboot.  I have no idea if this will resolve your problem, but it fixed mine, and it is a benign adjustment to test.

Good luck,

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

I'm using windows XP and can't seem to find the option to slide the slide bar to never notify under the change user account control settings.

Thanks anyway...

Bronze Contributor

That option applies to either Vista or Windows 7. 

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Copper Contributor

Thank you very much!

On my Windows 7 Enterprise box running Office 2007 and ACT 2011, disabling Windows 7 User Account Controls allowed the "Email" large button in ACT 2011 to produce an Outlook new mail windown properly (rather than the ACT error box I was getting saying "Object reference not set to an instance of an object").

If I check the Windows 7 Event Viewer, under Windows Logs\Application, I'm still getting the error messages that state the above quoted error, but at least now ACT is producing the Outlook email window, so on the surface it looks like it's working without issue.  This will be particularly important when I move my clients to Windows 7 in the new year.

Still something wrong going on according to Windows, but disabling UAC seems to be a step forward in terms of functionality.