Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object Reference error on Contact email address, Act 2012 Pro.

Copper Elite Contributor

Object Reference error on Contact email address, Act 2012 Pro.

[ Edited ]

Suddenly getting the dreaded 'Object reference not set to an instance of an object' message when I click on a contact email address to send an email.

Act2012 Pro, Office 2010, Win 7. Running Act as Admin.

Has been running fine, just happened today. Addins still show in Outlook, and still working, i.e. emails sent from Outlook still showing up in Act contact history. Can attach an email in Outlook to a contact. Can see Act contact address book in Outlook.

Re-ran email set-up in preferences, no change.

Only changes I have made is to set Run as Adminstrator as standard per advice from Greg Martin, otherwise can't think of any other events or changes.

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Object Reference error on Contact email address, Act 2012 Pro.

Progress Report:

Did a System Restore back to last Friday, prior to a Windows 7 Critical Update; changing to Run Act as Administrator, and a power cut on Monday morning. (Nothing was actually running when the power cut happened, the computer was just on.) 

Started Outlook ok.

Started Act - no longer running as administrator, the permission window didn't pop up.

Clicked on a contact email address - got message Email not set up.

Went through the email wizard, same settings as before, Outlook as email client etc.

Clicked on contact email address again, and got a new email!!

Closed Act.

Set up Run as Administrator again.

Started Act, clicked on a contact email, back to the Object Reference Error message!

Turned off Run as Administrator, email works again. Go figure??!!

Platinum Super Contributor

Re: Object Reference error on Contact email address, Act 2012 Pro.

Haven't come across this situation before, where running as administrator causes an error.  I'd have to guess that the Preference files were corrupted when the power shut off...

Some testing to isolate the issue:

- 'Run as Admin' > Test with a different email field

- 'Run as Admin' > Test in the demo or create a new database to test with

- Delete Preference files (be sure to stop all ACT! services before deleting) > launch ACT! (run as admin) > set up Prefs > test

Greg Martin
Sage