Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object error

Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object error

Hello,

I have a workstation at my business that is getting this error why trying to create a new database.  I found information in the knowledge base on how to troubleshoot this.  Checked to make sure it is properly registered, make sure dpi settings were correct.  Last option was to try and manually un-install and install ACT again.  We are using ACT 2008.  I am concerned about re-installing because I will lose all of the collected data we have.  What is the best way to re-install the app without losing any data?  I read that I need to back up the data, but not sure if I know how or am comfortable doing that.  Can anyone tell me or provide steps?

Thank you

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object error

Hello cindycam702,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community. When you uninstall the program, you will not lose your data. Uninstalling only removes the program not the database. It is a best practice to backup your database prior to uninstalling, in the event your are unable to reinstall on that machine and you need to restore that backup elsewhere. To backup your database, go to File/Backup/Database and back it up to a location other than where ACT! is installed or where your current database resides. The instructions for backing up and restoring your database can be found in Knowledgebase Article 19211

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.