Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Object Reference Error

Tuned Listener

Object Reference Error

I started getting "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" error when I try to select one of our database users to schedule an activity.  It appears the activity makes the schedule just fine.  I'm not sure what might be going on in the background.

What might be going on?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Object Reference Error

"Object reference not set to an instance of an object" is basically an error meaning "You told me to do something with this thing, but the thing you told me to do it with is a non-thing.  There's nothing here to work with."   It's the generic .NET error message, and it can be very hard to diagnose.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
Techbenders
royel@techbenders.com
Tuned Listener

I have run across the same issue.  Everything seems to turn out OK, but get the error message, regardless.

did we try to check with another db? i have seen this issue and most of the times it is a DB Specific. If this doesn't happen with any other db, try to do a save copy as of the db and check with the new copy.
Tuned Listener

What do you mean check with another db?  We only have one.  This didn't appear when we first started using it, but just started recently.

Copper Super Contributor

Hi

You could try checking the demo database, if dont have any other databases. If you find that you have this problem in your database alone then you could try going through this act article see if it helps.

I get the same error when I attempt to add a new opportunity and I get the error whether in my database or the demo database.

I tried deleting my preferences, repair database, and reinstalled ACT. 

Any other ideas?  As it is ACT is unusable.

This is an old post, but I thought I'd pass along what I found to be the problem.

I was getting the dreaded Object Reference error when trying to schedule an activity for a client.  I tried to schedule another activity series and it worked so I decided the problem had to be with the activity series.   I opened the Manage Activity Series Template screen and took a close look. 

What I found was that there was a line missing the Type.  It would not let me edit that line and gave the "Object Ref" error.  I had to delete the line and reenter it correctly. 

This fixed my problem - hope it helps someone else.