Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

OLEDB Driver with write access to Act!

OLEDB Driver with write access to Act!

Hi,

I am using ArcGIS to map and select my Act! records geographically. Once the querry is performed using spatial criteria, I mail or email those folks. Then I want to flag my Act! records to record that action. It was something very simple to do in Act! 4 (which I couldn't port to Vista), but I haven't been able to do it in Act! 10 / Act! 2008. The only Act! driver I have found is read-only, and actually doesn't show up in ArcGIS (ArcCatalog's Add Database Connection or in ArcMap for that matter).

No luck with ESRI tech support so far.

Thanks

Re: OLEDB Driver with write access to Act!

I'm not familiar with how ArcGIS integrates with ACT!.  If it creates a lookup in ACT! and you're mailing or emailing from ACT!, it will update the Last Letter and Last E-mail fields and create a history entry.

Act! and ArcGIS are two separate products. But both use or can use SQL Server Express 2005, so there should be a way to connect to the Act! database from within ArcGIS using Windows database methodologies (OLEDB, ODBC, etc.). What are the default username and password to connect to an Act! 10 database via OLEDB? They seem to be different from the username/password used to open the database from within Act!

The Sage website has an example on how to connect Excel to Act!with read-only permissions. Unfortunately, that OLEDB file doesn't show up when calling the Database Connection dialog from within ArcGIS; plus I need write access anyway.

Exporting from Act! is relatively simple; but it's not what I need. Because Act! can't perform spatial selections (for example, selecting records within 50 miles of a location), I need to do that in ArcGIS. Yet, I want to be able to go back to the Act! database to flag those records as having participated in a marketing campaign. This was very easy to do in Act! 4 as it used the dBASE format. I find the Act! 10 documentation to be lacking technical information in many areas, such as OLEDB and querry syntax.

Hi Dennis, Had you ever found a solution or workaround to this problem (linking ArcGIS and Sage ACT!)? I've been searching for an answer but have found nothing more than people stating that this has already been covered in these forums. Unfortunately, however, none of those making that claim can seem to point me to a specific thread. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Best Regards, Chris

Hi Chris:

My understanding is that Sage requires its Act! users to pay $500 to get access to a password that lets them access their own database without the Act! front-end. Alternatively, they can purchase a higher-end edition to Act!, possibly called Act! Premium, that would include this password.

I don't really care for this type of practice and find $500 pretty steep considering that the core product is around $150. I didn't go that route.

My 2 cents...

Silver Super Contributor

Actually starting with ACT! 2010 you can access the SQL database using Windows Authentication.  I don't know for sure but I suspect that it works with the Pro versions of ACT! as well.

I think the reason that there was a fee associated with getting the SA password in the past was to prevent users from writing to the ACT! database directly using SQL and then calling support when they broke something.  You are still not allowed to write to the ACT! database directly using SQL unless they have changed the EULA.

That being said if you need to read the tables in the ACT! database you can read them using the ACTREADER account.  If the ArcGIS application that you want to integrate is just going to read from ACT! it's pretty simple to set up.  If you want it to write back to ACT! there isn't an easy way to do it that wouldn't violate the EULA and potentially cause problems with the ACT! database.

SAGE provides an SDK for ACT! that can be used to read and write to the database.  There is currently no ODBC or OLEDB driver written that uses the SDK to read and write to the ACT! database which would be the only way to do it and conform to the requirements of the EULA.  I toyed with the idea of writing an ODBC driver for ACT! using the SDK but I don't think there is sufficient interest to justify the expense of writing it.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Employee

First, I agree with what Stan wrote about access methods and that the only way to write back to Act and respect the EULA would be via the SDK. 

Above someone asked what the username and password were for the OLEDB and they would be the username and password in Act, it generates the correct connection string and adheres to the security model. You can read more about reporting and data access methods here.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Dennis, Stan and Mattew,  Thanks very much for your quick replies.  This is exactly what I was looking for!  I only need to read from the ACT database (for now), so this should get me there.  Best Regards, Chris

Chris, I am glad you don't have to write to the Act! database, but I do because I need to perform some spatial analyses on my data to select records, and then would like to update my records to indicate what action I have taken with all those selected records.

It would be very helpful if Act! had some basic spatial/GIS capabilities included, such as the ability to select records within a certain geographic distance of a point.  Any idea of Sage is working on this? I/O was so much simpler in Act! 4.0!

FYI also, I wasn't able to use my regular username and password to access my Act! database without the Act! front-end.