Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

OLE DB2 connect: 'Value cannot be null. Parameter name: pUnk'

Copper Contributor

OLE DB2 connect: 'Value cannot be null. Parameter name: pUnk'

[ Edited ]

Running ACT21update4 on Win10/64 and Excel 2019/64. Trying to get an ole connection to the database. I follow these instructions in Excel: https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024246694-How-To-Create-An-ODBC-Connection-For-Use-With-Th... with changes to adapt to the later Excel version. The 'connection test' works fine, but when selecting a table, I get

DataSource.Error: An error happened while reading data from the provider: 'Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: pUnk'
Details:
DataSourceKind=OleDb
DataSourcePath=data source=C:\Sync\Actdb\Nanowave.pad;provider=ACTOLEDB2.1

no matter what table I select.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: OLE DB2 connect: 'Value cannot be null. Parameter name: pUnk'

[ Edited ]

Try rebuilding the ODBC engine 

Type at the start button  ACTDIAG.EXE 

Follow instructions from section 16 rebuilding OLE / DB2 

ACT! Diagnostics User's Guide

Just a further thought, from memory I cannot remember if this function is fully functional in the standard ACT version, I know it is in the Premium one. Just a nag at the back of my mind so you might want to have a dig around to make sure this OLE DB2 feature is fully enabled.

Copper Contributor

OK, tried this, but no go.

Apparently the ActReader application is Premium only, but Act! Pro ought to be ok for direct OLE access per this link https://help.act.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024247834-How-to-Create-an-OLE-DB-2-0-Connection-in-Act-. Again the 'test connection' works, but once I try to load a table it bombs out.

Silver Super Contributor

Have you tried with ACT database both open and also closed?

Copper Contributor

Yes, same result. Attached a screenshot.

One further question, I have my machine set up for 64 bit, but ACT is running 32 bit, would this be a problem? And if so, that's crazy since everyone runs 64 bit now...

Silver Super Contributor

ACT V22 is supposed to be 64 bit compatible with office but there many observations from users with strange problems where moving Office to 32 bit has solved their problems so just might be re-installing office as 32 bit but you then have to re-install ACT for Office integrations to re-connect.

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah, I don't really use the Integrations, but reinstalling Office sounds like a big pain...  I'd like to know this would work before doing it.

Silver Super Contributor

Have you tried a direct SQL connection? It bypasses the restrictions of OLE DB2 access to tables so if you want instructions will email them to you if you send me a private message as would not want to publish them here.

Copper Contributor

No I haven't, seems I'd need to know too much about the database schema and things. Would like to try that tho. PM sent