Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not sure if I need to Syncronize or share DB over network

Copper Contributor

Not sure if I need to Syncronize or share DB over network

I am using ACT locally and want to add a remote user. Total is 2 users ony using the dekstop versions.  I am not sure wha'ts the best way to do this. Do I Synchronize the DB over the network and if so, can I just host the files on my server? I don't have a static IP or LAN that can be accessed remotely.

I was thinking to either host on my local PC or on a directory on my isp's server that is also hosting my website. I'm not certain what'sthe best way to accomplish this.

Nickel Contributor

Re: Not sure if I need to Syncronize or share DB over network

[ Edited ]

I don' think you will be able to host your AC! Database on your ISP's server as you also need o have ACT! installed and be able to logon to the physical server to be able to create the remote databases. 

Probably the option will be to host it on your Desktop PC. You don't mention what version of ACT! you are using but if it's Pro then ACT! has to be open to synchronise successfully. 

If you don' have a static IP then you have 2 options 1) use something like LogMeIn Hamachi on the host machine and the remotes so that you can synchronise. 2) Set up a DNS via No-IP or DynDNS you can then synchronise using th host name you create. This would also mean that you would have to set up your router to port forward 65100 to the publisher machine.
For a small setup the Hamachi VPN would be the easy option.

This KB article might help you wth synchronisation

http://kb.swiftpage.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/15192

Copper Contributor

Thanks for the info. I am using Act Pro2012. When you say ACT has to be open to sync does that mean both machines have to be open and logged in at the same time?

Copper Elite Contributor

That is correct topaz99, Act! Pro will also need to be open and running on the computer that has the main Database on it.

Jared Dalrymple | Technical Consultant | P:+61 7 3423 3551
jared@evolutionmarketing.com.au | Evolution Marketing Services

Copper Contributor

I'm tying to set this up as a trial first before i buy the license. when setting up Hamachi it looks like it won't let me access the user folder in the host where ACT is installed , so do i ned to re-install it in a common folder?

Nickel Contributor

Via Hamachi you will only see shared folders, so if you have shared the ACT! database you will see the database supplementary file. When synchronising the remote database will use port 65100 to sychronise the data. You don't really need to see where the database is stored via the browse network in hamachi.