Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Not Able To Sync Remote db - Incoming Sync and Network Sync Service

Bronze Contributor

Not Able To Sync Remote db - Incoming Sync and Network Sync Service

[ Edited ]

I am receiving the error message:

ACT is unable to connect to the sync server.  Check to be sure ...

Accept incoming sync is checked

How do I see if the network sync service is running?

The main db is on a Windows 7 Enterprise and the remote db is on a Windows 8 Professional - problem with this?

Does it make a difference if the remote is outside or inside the firewall?

May thanks in advance for any assistance.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, & Exchange 2013 & Office 365, 32bit
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Bronze Contributor

Re: Not Able To Sync Remote db - Incoming Sync and Network Sync Service

This weekend I uninstalled and re-installed ACT and created a new remote db. 

I am still not able to sync and am getting this error:  Network Sync Service error.  requested registry access is not allowed.  Must be windows administrator to run network services.

It appears that I am not able to start network services, even though I am the systems administrator.  I also have Internet services installed. 

Finally, I verified that the port forwarding in the router is going to my host system.  My system is a single stand alone. 

Any help would be appreciated.

John Purdy
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 32bit & Exchange 2013
Platinum Elite Contributor

If you are using Vista ore Windows 7 you aren't the admonistrator unless you've disabled the UAC.

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Silver Super Contributor

John,

Try right clicking and running as administrator.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Bronze Contributor

Let's start over once again.

I am a single user.

Main db is on a Lenovo T430

I have installed both Network Services and Internet services

My goal is to update or sync the main db regardless if I'm at home or at a customer's location.

From following some of the knowledgebase articles and posts here, it appears that maybe both network services and Internet services should not be runnin at the same time.  Is that correct?

My last error that I can't seem to get beyond is "Could not start sync server. ... "  When clicking on accepting incoming syncs, it states the port as 65100."

When I follow the knowledgebase article 15090, it infers that the port number should not be the same for network services and Internet services, or am I reading too much into this? 

John Purdy

[ Edited ]

John,
Network sync by default uses port 65100, but Internet Sync uses the default internet port 80. The port conflict you are seeing is due to "Accept incoming syncs" being checked - this turns on the built-in application sync service, which also uses port 65100 by default. You can definitely have both Network and Internet sync installed and running. Keep in mind that Internet Sync syncs through a website, so the host machine will need to have IIS installed as it basically becomes a web server for the Internet Sync service.

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.

Bronze Contributor

Thanks Greg, but still no luck. 

Regarding your comment that the Internet Sync service is through a website requiring IIS to be installed --  IIS is installed as part of the Internet Sync service.  I see it is running in the task manager.  The URL that the remote system sees in the "Sync Server Connection" is 192.168.1.102 which is the IP given in the lower right hand system tray in the host when I do a mouse over on the network connection.  Maybe I need to ask if there is a list that you or somone can provide to make sure ports and urls are properly configured.

I'm sure if my host system was brand new and installing everything for the first time there would be no problem. 

John Purdy

That IP address sounds like an internal one. If you want to use Internet Sync outside your network, you would need to use your external IP address. The internal one (or the server name) can be used for NW sync inside your firewall. Another option for outside the firewall is to use port forwarding to configure the Network sync service over the internet. More information is in the Knowledgebase article:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1753...

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software. This is now provided by Swiftpage.